Marineland's new skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by hugoman900, Apr 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hugoman900

hugoman900 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

wwooaa looks wicked!

4. LiVEWiRE

LiVEWiRE Plankton

I would like to find some reviews on this skimmer. Nice space saving design. But how well does it work?

5. captbill

captbill Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just put one in my sump yesterday will keep posted!

6. hawkeye313

hawkeye313 Plankton

captbill - what do think about the skimmer? Is it worth getting?

7. captbill

well so far its working but no black stuff that i see other peeps getting from diff. models.But in the same sentence i have a new tank and I'm getting good green. Although I am getting alot of micro bubbles and had to put a filter media around the return pump to keep bubbles out of the tank. The p.o.s. manual has pics but no real info and it tells you that after break-in period the bubbles will go away!!!!! I will deff. keep you all posted this thing cost me 2 hundo and it better stop blowin excess bubbles!!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. captbill

Skimmer working great real dark skim but still getting micro bubbles and have a white filter media around return pump to keep out of tank. But other that the micro bubbles it is working great.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I had that 300 model installed in my tank when it was first set up and it quit on me about a month after it was installed.....I never could get it controlled...never broke in! I was never able to get it past the point of the initial stage of the uncontrollable air bubbles overflowing the cup...you know when you first break in a skimmer...that part. No matter how low I adjusted it.....

I do not know however if it was the skimmer or if it was the stupid system that the store installed....still having problems with the entire system (those of you keeping track...entering month 5 and I have a list full of problems that have been wrong with the system that NOBODY will fix there...including one of my $900 light fixtures being broke!)

But back to the point....my sump for some reason had to have such a high level of water to keep the pumps running in the other compartments that the water ended up over the air intake hole and I think it just burned it out! So I can not say if it was my skimmer or the system...will be interested in watching yours

11. captbill

Sounds like It may of too deep in the sump.... My sump only runs 6 to 8" tops... If you look at the water outs, one is up and other is down i keep it in the middle.. marked the sump with a marker for a happy spot...and add ro water to keep it happy with very little adj.....now if your sump was deeper w/water and it was on the bottom of sump close to the holes for air then i know it would gush...put somthing under it!!! If it still works..jmo

12. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I don’t know about all these new skimmers call me old school but I still use Berlin 250 Triple Pass since 2002. I have wanted to upgrade and after all the online jazz I would go with AquaC or Octopus. Just my opinion.