Mantis Tank For Dorm.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hdog, Aug 7, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hdog

hdog Astrea Snail

YO. ITs been a while since I've been on this site, but I'm heading to university in the next few months and I was thinking about putting together a little 10 gallon or so aquarium on my desk. It's really what I need to have for my own sanity. Since I'll be gone for winter break and such, I've decided to get a small mantis shrimp so that I can keep the tank running while I'm gone and just pack his tank with limpets, snails, and such when I'm out of town.
    The question I have, is how much filtration is needed, as well as what type of mantis is the most playful inquisitive, and big enough to see, yet small enough to live in a smaller tank?
    From what I remember, the common ones are chiragra, smithii, that one related to the peacock.. havenensis?, and a few others?
    What is the best mantis you guys have kept?
    Thanks a lot, and Ill post concept drawings of what I plan on everything looking like if y'all are interested.

Moxtrain and Corailline like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Boy I have not seen a Mantis thread in forever.

Bump for those that have Mantis experience.

hdog likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

It sounds like a great idea! I wish I knew more about them other than they are too cool lol - another bump for you!

5. hdog

hdog Astrea Snail

So I'm thinking either a mr. Aqua cube? so only like 7.5 gallons, or another smaller rimless aquarium. THe main goal is to keep filtration and noise as quiet and least visible and compact as possible.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

O. havanensis for sure. Basically a tiny peacock mantis, very active and smart and such. I kept one in a biocube 14. I would highly recommend that tank for a dorm. Very quiet and compact and such.

No matter what tank you choose, I highly suggest getting the havanensis. The others you listed tend to be more reclusive ime.

hdog, zesty and Swisswiss like this.
  7. ccardini

ccardini Bristle Worm

Have you looked into the all in one options? Innovative Marine makes a 10 gallon. All the equipment goes into the back sump area so you wouldn't see any equipment.

hdog likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

This might be dumb or old fish stories, but I thought I read about mantis being able to break the glass in small tanks. Any truth to that?

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

A provoked peacock can. Dr. Roy over at Berkley (leading stomatopod researcher) wrote an article about this myth a while back. Basically summing up that mantis are very smart and accurate creatures. They're not gonna miss a crab and hit the glass, and they're not going to just randomly decide to hit the glass one day. The only time they have is when the owner provokes a strike on the glass, and again, it has to be a large mantis. I got hit by my little guy (3") and it was more surprising than painful.

AnotherMike and Swisswiss like this.
  11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I love that comic!!

Swisswiss likes this.