Lyretail Anthias FOTM March '09

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by scenario1313, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Lyretail Anthias
    Pseudanthias Squamipinnis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reef safe: Yes
    Temperament: Semi-aggressive
    Diet: Zooplankton, you can also find some specimens that will take to any prepared food. Mine eats Frozen Mysis and cyclop. Has not touched the pellet food yet.
    Care: Can be difficult but the Lyretail seem to be the easiest of the anthias species. Also Anthias tend to like a lower light setting to reduce stress.
    Male and Female: The male will be a purple to red color as the female will be a orange color. If you have a group of 3 females one will turn to male and change color pattern. If the male dies the next dominant female steps up to take the males place. Keep only 1 male per group.
    Size: Males get around 5 inches while the females stay a little smaller.
    Tank size: Recommended to 100+ gallons
    Origin: Indo-West Pacific
    Personal Observations: One of my greatest additions so far. Adds color and it is really nice to see them stick together. I have one male and 2 females and they are full of personality. Anthias are a difficult fish to keep but if you can find specimens that will readily take prepared foods you have a better chance of survival. Please post any pics of yours or your experience with them to share more information that I may have left out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Nice fish kid.

1 person likes this.
  4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Anything that says "anthias", I want. Always have and always will. I've never owned one. But, have been thinking of doing a deeper water tank. May look into getting some.

1 person likes this.
  5. scenario1313

I love them. Glad I found a good trio thats has already been winged to captivity and eating well. Thanks for the compliments.

6. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

They are very colorful and friendly. I had 2f and 1m and now I am down to 1 female cause the others ended on the floor. I didnt see anything about them being jumpers. I have a maroon/ gold clown and a dwarf angel that could of helped them. Mine did eat pellets and did well. I really need to get a hood. If I could figure out how to post pix, I would.
    Sorry, but I figured out mine were dispar anthias. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  7. scenario1313

I am not aware of them being jumpers but I guess any fish would be if help out. Would like to see yours. You can post pictures with photobucket. You can always use some egg crate for your lid.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Nice fish. They're very active and friendly. I don't have much experience with them. I only have the experience from taking care of em at the LFS where I work

10. scenario1313

Mine finally started eating on some pellet food. Woo Hoo. They are doing great.

11. scenario1313

I have a question about the anthias that I have. I know I wrote the FOTM article and it sounds bad that I am asking a question but I have some weird activity going on with my females that I have never seen before. My two females are swimming in circles while lip locking. What would this mean. I already have a male so I hope one is not trying to turn or is one just trying to be the dominant female.

12. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Yes and no for your question. Them swimming in circles and jaw locking does mean the other one is trying to show dominance and usually means they could be trying to turn sex. Every time I hear about them jawlocking or talk to someone about it they say they are about to change sex. A lot of times I hear that you need to keep like 8 females to 1 male per tank for success. I made the mistake of buying one and later introducing 2 in my tank and the first one was larger than the other 2 and she killed off one of them and the other one is still alive and is actually swimming with the first one. I noticed that they were both locking jaws as well.