Luvreefs23 90 gallon progress

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by luvreefs23, Mar 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Hey everyone, pretty much accumilted everything i need to start my 90. I took some pics to show the mess in my basement and my progress. Wish there was more progress but the lack of sump experience has slowed me down alot. Here are the pix:

pic of tank in the basement

[​IMG]

euroreef rs135 and 20 long sump
    [​IMG]

Black beach reef sand (wanted to go with something different this time)

[​IMG]

pvc cement, tropic marin salt, and cut glass for my sump baffles which im still a little confused on how to install.

[​IMG]

mag7, skimmer pump, phosban reactor, and some other misc. tank stuff.

[​IMG]

tunze 6045
    [​IMG]

tunze 6025

[​IMG]

return line with ball valve (i managed to install the ball valve smoothly lol)

[​IMG]

hard plumbed pvc i did monday nite. I had a hell of a time getting the pvc to cut straight. tried the hack saw...tried to level out with sand paper, went out and bought pvc cutters, never a nice straight cut. So i said screw it, so its a little off inside. I doubt ill have a leak with the way that pvc cement bonds. Its not done but i its progress

[​IMG]

Maybe someone can help me with the last part of the hard plumbing. I need to make a last piece that will enter the sump either empty into a filter sock or just empty into sump (havent decided yet) Im wondering if i cement the last piece in, just above the water level in the sump (about 7 inches off the bottom how would i get the sump out from underneath the stand in the future if need be since the pvc would prohibit me from fanagling the tank out

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

They make retro kits(with sock) that hang at the top of your sump. It's kind of a sleeve. My inlet is 1 1/2" piping that ties into a 1 1/2" sleeve at the top of my sump. I ground down the piping, so, that they can pull apart. Rather than having something that is fixed. There is no water pressure, so, tight fit isn't an issue.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

By the way, your set-up looks very thought out and dialed. You are definitely on the right track.

5. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Thanks missionsix66, i hope im doing this rite. Setting up a sump for the first time feels like setting up your first saltwater tank all over again...wondering will this work?

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Very very cool.

Good Job!

Awesome!!!!

[​IMG]
    (Karma to you!)

[​IMG]

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Looks awesome!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome to the wonderful world of reefing.;D Like I've said before, having a reef tank is just like having kids, they both need attention, maint., tlc and lots of money, but worth the trouble when you see it grow right under your nose. lol Looks great so far and sounds like your doing your homework. Remember not to rush and be patient. I wish I could help you better in the sump dept. but I dont know what your trying to do. Luna

10. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

Hey man if you need any info on the sump, i just finished building mine today, lmk ... i have some good references for supplies, stuff you need, measurements. etc... i believe we have same skimmer as well

1 person likes this.
  11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Hey Mattchew, could u post a pic of your sump? I might get mine started tonite. Im making it simple, just an Over under over baffle for bubbles. We do have the same skimmer, i cut my elbow to be just above my water level (as thats what the manual said to do) last nite. Im gonna do some more pvc glueing tonite...gotta stop at lowes on my way home from work.

12. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

Yea, sure im actually in process of updating my 75g build, adding all my sump/refugium pictures i took, and couple supplies, etc...if you wanna check it out in a lil bit, anyways heres a link to a pic since the image button isnt working..

It looks kinda small but its because i used a 50mm portrait lens on it... its actually kinda roomy, simple over,under,over bubble trap, then theres like a 1.5" x 8" refuge where ill put my chaeto, and couple pieces of LR, maybe some sand, not sure about that though, refuge shares itself with pump but theres a 4" high divider in there to keep pump away from chaeto/snails, theres also going to be some eggcrate about that 4" piece for a wall that flows water through but keeps inhabitants out of pump...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008