Looking to buy 30 gallon tank.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Alex321, Apr 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

No problem! I suggest do what you are doing now; research everything before you buy anything. Feel free to come back here with your full list. We can help critique, add or take away anything so you don't waste any money. Half the battle in this hobby is starting off right. Don't go into a LFS looking for advice...

2. Click Here!

3. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Okay so Here is what I am going to buy soon.

A Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump 425 GPH.

A Aquatic Life 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer/Filter.

This LED light that I think can grow some coral Amazon.com : TrueLumen 36-Inch TrueLumen Pro LED Strip Light, Actinic Pacific Blue with Canopy Brackets : Aquarium Lights : Pet Supplies

And a Aquen QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filters 200 GPH for 30-55 gallon tanks.

Going to a few LFS later today to try and find a 29/30 gallon tank.

And I may make my 10 gallon and it into a sump or if the fish store has a cheap 5 gallon tank I will buy that and use that for a sump.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That light is just actinics, and by itself won't do you much good. So you would need that and one with white lights. By that time, you are spending $140. At that point, you would be much better off with something like this: 2014 New Full Spectrum Dimmable 120W LED Aquarium Light Coral Reef Marine Lamp | eBay

As far as the tank goes, Petco does there 1$/gallon sale quite often. That would be the time to buy. I would recommend a tank that is 18" wide, so a 30 or 40 gallon breeder if you have the space.

And lastly, a HOB power filter is not needed. If you do a sump, you can have a section be your refugium where you grow macro algae. That and your skimmer will be a great filtration system right there :)

5. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Okay so just got back from petco because I need stuff for my freshwater tank, and I asked about the sale and I missed it by a week ah so going to have to hold off on the tank for a bit.

And I want to get a filter because I won't add the sump right when I start.

6. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Marshall O,
    You are giving great advice and being honest about the hobby. It can be very expensive but very rewarding and most of all be patient.

Patients is the key in this hobby! Do research and ask people here because they know their stuff here and is why I can't leave here..LoL

7. Alex321

Alex321 Plankton

Okay so I was thinking about a getting a 50/55 gallon tank but that's not the point of this, would I need two of thos lights if I did a 50 or 55 long?

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

A 55 long is 4'. Ideally, you want one of those fixtures per 2'. 1 fixture could do 3' with shadows on the edges, but not 4'. That would not look right IMO.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

you could look at the THE LUMENTEK PRO 240 from reef radiance for the 55. 1 will cover you but more expensive than the dimmables