Lighting for 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JupiterSailfish, Nov 14, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Hello 3Reef,

I haven't posted in a long time, last time a few months ago but before then years. I've recently set up a 10 gallon tank, yesterday, and I'm trying to decide on what kind of lighting to go with.

I've been out of the loop with aquarium gear for a few years now and I remembered LED lighting was just coming around and I was hoping it would be a lot cheaper (and lighting in general) but it doesn't appear that way. Most of the stuff I'm finding I would be expecting the same price when shopping for my 57 gallon tank, that I will eventually set up again after moving.

I'm having to re-learn everything again after being away from the hobby for so long. I was looking for some advice on what lighting I should be looking for. I'm not looking to keep demanding corals, maybe have some Xenia for movement (My old tank they went crazy in and I never did anything for them), maybe some Torch coral or Star Polyps. Those were some of my favorites. Definitely want to have a couple fish that I haven't decided on yet. I always loved Orange Anthias, Six-Line Wrasse and Green Chromis for how they schooled together.

LFS recommended a Kessil A150W light but I don't think that is really what I need. I see they make an 80 that would be more reasonable but still seems kind of expensive to me. I am open to bulb lights. I think I'm finding recommendations geared towards people trying to make the end all 10 gallon aquariums where I want to keep this one very simple.

I currently have some random hood with two white bulbs (one of which works lol) on it.

Thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp