Led q&a

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by Reef Breeders, Aug 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Well, you will not be runnign the reds and greens at full power, correct? The number 4 is mostly for spread, reds are intense, but you would get more spread of the colors with 4. Personally, I prefer osram, or bridgelux reds, as they are available in 660nm, 630nm crees are really red/orange, not that deep red that you want. I would go 50/50 on the red/orange and reds, 4 of each, for 8 total (4 on each side). As for the violets, you cannot add too many, LOL. I personally love the color of violets, and wish they were as powerful as the royal blues.

2. Click Here!

3. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

I am making plans to modify my fixture, here is the preliminary idea...

[​IMG]

This is one of the two drivers in the fixture, each identical.

[​IMG]

This is the interior of the fixture, close up on one of the modules.

[​IMG]

I'd like some feedback on the colors, and any issues you foresee I might run into.

4. Reef Breeders

Since it is wired in parelllel, you would do best to match up the colors on each puck, and put them in the same order to keep the forward voltage constant. I would add 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 green to each puck on the white channel, and 1 violets to each puck on the royal blue channel. Are there any resistors? If so you are pretty much stuck with adding one to each puck, I would prefer to add 2 reds, and 2 red oranges instead of 4 reds. The whites tend to be more powerful, so add the majority of the colored LEDs to the white channel, and also, if there are no resistors, I would only go with 2 greens and 2 blues, you do not want those in abundance IME.edit: 395nm is not violet, that is uv. I would use 420nm instead. Also, you can replace the greens I suggested with the turqouise LEDs

5. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

The blues @ 465-470nm are what is already installed in the fixture unfortunately and I'm not really ready to replace them. The royal blues are the ones I am adding. I am having a hard time finding red-orange with the correct led design.

As for the resistors, I did not see any on the pucks, but I did not inspect the leads for them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  6. Reef Breeders

You should be fine then, and yes replace your blues with royals, regular blues have little photosynthetic benefit.

7. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

Awesome. I ordered the LEDs earlier from ledgroupbuy.com. Very helpful people, I screwed up the first order slightly and they refunded it immediately so I could place a new order.

I had to go with the 660nm reds, I am hopeful it will not be too much red with one on each puck. I opted to hold off on the royal blues for now until I get an idea how this is going to work out. If this goes well I will replace most of the blues with royal blues in a few weeks.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Great, did they sell you the bridgelux LEDs without the star attached? Removal is relatively easy.

10. Arringar

Arringar Plankton

I didn't see any without the star. I just assumed I would have to desolder them myself.

11. Reef Breeders

I here you may need a razor blade or chisel, I could not desolder some semi leds that came on stars. Do you have a link to the leds? Ask if they could do just the diode for you.

12. Arringar

Arringar Plankton