LED or Metal Halide.

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by cody3819, Oct 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

Thanks, I want to have good growth and color but I have a few leathers so I don't want them to bleach. I believe I will go LED.

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

LED is the right choice for sure. MH are great lights - can't argue against that. LED are also great though. On a nano LED will save your temperature. LED is also a no hassle fixture. Plug it in, set it, and you are done. Period. For like 7-10 years. I have 4 AI fixtures on my 250. They have been up there now for well over 2 years. They work like a charm. I don't have to replace bulbs, I don't have to worry about temperature issues, and my corals (LPS, SPS, and Soft) all are doing great. I used to run MH and T5 fixtures and was having to replace bulbs all the time - expensive and annoying. Not to mention the power consumption. My 4 LED fixtures combined use less power than just one of the MH fixtures I was running....when I changed...you could actually see a difference in the power bill.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

LED is the right choice for sure. MH are great lights - can't argue against that. LED are also great though. On a nano LED will save your temperature. LED is also a no hassle fixture. Plug it in, set it, and you are done. Period. For like 7-10 years. I have 4 AI fixtures on my 250. They have been up there now for well over 2 years. They work like a charm. I don't have to replace bulbs, I don't have to worry about temperature issues, and my corals (LPS, SPS, and Soft) all are doing great. I used to run MH and T5 fixtures and was having to replace bulbs all the time - expensive and annoying. Not to mention the power consumption. My 4 LED fixtures combined use less power than just one of the MH fixtures I was running....when I changed...you could actually see a difference in the power bill.

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Agree. My three MH lights @ 400W/ light makes for a very expensive electric bill. I would go all LED, problem is the upfront cost. For me to light my tank with LED's would run over 1000 bucks.

LED is the way to go for your tank!

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree civic, the upfront cost is the problem for me too. Plus, nothing looks like halide bro

cody3819 likes this.
  7. cody3819

Yes, that's what kind of had me..... The MH looks so good! But after this discussion I am going with the prime. So thanks you guys for helping me make my mind up.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I just got a prime for my wife's nano and let me tell you what a light. That light packs a punch! I am running at about 25% because it's so strong.

DSC reef and cody3819 like this.
  10. cody3819

Awesome to know thanks! I will get one soon.

11. cody3819

Just got my ai prime. Thought I would show you guys.

Attached Files:

DSC reef likes this.
  12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How do u like it?