Leather Coral Issue

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by GuitarMan89, Feb 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've had this leather coral in my tank for about 6 weeks now. It has started to grow nicely. I just noticed that there is a grey area appearing on the tips of the body in a few places. The polyps are still extending normally and it's appearance otherwise has not changed. I'm not sure if this is normal, i.e. if it is just shedding, or if it's a problem. My parameters are in order except my nitrates and phosphates. They are very high, but that has not affected the other corals or fish. Right now there is just soft coral in the tank, because my nitrates and phosphates are sky high and they are doing fine. Just some zoas, ricordia and Kenya Tree.

Here's a pic. Please let me know what you think it may be.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

anything that would nip at it?

I have multiple different leathers for years and they do some weird stuff but never seen that. I would cut it off and see what happens

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Nothing nipping at it. I did some research and it may be shedding, at least that part, but I didn't find anything conclusive. And you are correct, leathers do do some weird things sometimes.

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would just watch it for a while and see if it expands. I believe that I have had similar things, although the pic is hard to see what exactly what it is. I would try to get your parameters under control. Softies seem to like the water a little "dirtier" but it appears that you also have an issue with cyano. Keep us posted on the spot over the next few weeks and if it resolves itself.

6. dienerman

I would just watch it for a while and see if it expands. I believe that I have had similar things, although the pic is hard to see what exactly what it is. I would try to get your parameters under control. Softies seem to like the water a little "dirtier" but it appears that you also have an issue with cyano. Keep us posted on the spot over the next few weeks and if it resolves itself.

7. dienerman

8. dienerman

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

My Gold tip leather sheds a lot but it is a mucus like membrane(usually after I blow the crap from overflow and rocks). Are those areas hard to the touch. From the pic it almost looks like it has a harder consistency.

10. Click Here!

11. dienerman

I had two similar spots on my leather about 6 months ago and they went away. No idea what it was.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I did just notice that the plug it is on has slid closer to the Kenya Tree, perhaps the Kenya Tree has hit it. Thanks for the advice.

13. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Leathers are weird man. I have a devils hand finger leather and it is the most unpredictable coral on earth. Today for example, it was huge, with no polyps out....then it shrunk down to nothing, now its huge again with some polyps....it changes colours from light brown to purple to grey, gets patches, sheds stuff, its all over the map. I've given up on trying to figure out what it likes....it was in one spot where I thought I'd gotten it right because everyday he was huge with polyps, then one day, out of nowhere, wah wah......shriveled.....Now I just leave him alone and let him do what he's gonna do...

14. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

To update, the leather has re-opened and looks back to normal. Took nearly a week. After the grey tips, it totally closed up and turned a blue/grey color. Now the polyps are extended as usually and the color has returned. No idea what really happened, I guess leathers are just weird sometimes.

chris adams likes this.