Kraylen's Lab - Ultimate DIY Welded Frag Rack - A 3 Part HD Adventure!!!!

Discussion in '2010 3reef DIY Video Contest' started by Kraylen, May 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

I figured I would do the 3 theme by making and editing 3 videos! I've been working on this all weekend for you guys... I love to teach, I hope you all enjoy watching this as much as I did making it!!

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I'm still watching this monstrosity, but you win already because of the music starting at 5:42 lol

EDIT: 2nd video lol. I was sitting here for the whole first video and half of the 2nd, thinking "man, this sounds so familiar....."....then it dawned on me that I've heard nearly every single segment at one point or another in my extensive video gaming career.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

Hahahaha I'm glad you enjoy the music! It was also what I was listening to when I was putting the entire video together.

5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

very nice! 8)

looks very custom and clean.

6. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

Thank you Jake! I have mad several this way for a few reefers. They love them!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Egg-crate the monster metal musical. :)
    Why did you paint it at the end?

8. Click Here!

9. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

Well, there is a lot of debate about "eggcrate" and what it releases in our reef tanks. I am not 100% sure on why people believe it releases phosphate, but just to be careful, I seal every plastic I put into my tank. My own experiments show that anything introduced into the reef tank that has not been cured/cycled in established reef water will produce random algae or growth or some sort over a short period of time. By masking the material with this plastic paint I have had a significant reduction in pest/nuisance growth, so I continue the practice. I have been working with light diffuser submerged in the home reef aquarium for a few years now, and my conclusion about the paint is unexplainable, so I figured it was a harmless tactic to promote not only because of the reduction of nuisance growth, but the overall look of the finished product was far superior to any frag rack build I have ever seen on the internet. The theme of my propagation setup is black with LEDs, so I painted the bottom of the tank black, the back of the tank is black acrylic and I plan on using black racks. I also make my own frag plugs, and I plan on making black ones for my propagation tank in the future to further utilize the benefit of having florescent coral documented on dark back ground via photography or video. White is a hard color to shoot media with when dealing with the awesome colors we see! Black eliminated that, so colorless promotes colorful via contrast! :)

10. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

11. Kraylen

Kraylen Astrea Snail

That's all the feedback I get for all that work? :(

12. johnlocke

johnlocke Flamingo Tongue

awsome video! everything was displayed in detail.. very informative