Kill all Brittlestars

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Ryan Duchatel, Nov 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Wow, we've had serpent stars and brittle stars in our tank for years and never, ever had a problem with them. They will scavenge when something passes away, but they've never given a hoot about anything alive.

Are you sure the shrimp weren't sick? It's a possibility. I highly doubt a brittle star would get the better of a healthy, agile shrimp. I unfortunately have to disagree with you on the "kill all brittle stars" sentiment. At least just return them to your LFS or give them away, it's a total waste to kill something like that because you are mad at it. They're easy to capture, and can even be caught by hand.

2. Click Here!

3. pagojoe

pagojoe Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

They'll kill shrimp that aren't sick. They first wrap up the legs, then crush them together and break them. Once the shrimp's legs are broken/crushed, then it's easy for the starfish to wrap up and eat the animal. I had one kill every shrimp in my tank as I watched, including a really big coral banded.

Cheers,

Don