JNS VS-1 skimmer not bubbling

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Josh1215, Feb 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Hi all
    I have the JNS VS-1 HOB skimmer (http://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-jns-ice-cyclone-hang-on-needle-wheel-protein-skimmer-vs-1)

It was not cheap and is only a couple months old.

When I first got it, it was bubbling a lot...now, it hardly bubbles at all and it does not collect anything whatsoever.

I took it apart a week or so ago, cleaned it, put it back together....and it bubbled for a bit and now doesnt bubble....

My question is: Do skimmers bubble and collect based on the amount of dissolved organics? For example, when I accidentally put water conditioner in a while back, it went nuts, then settled....So do skimmers have a constant level of bubbling regardless of dissolved wastes? Is mine just not bubbling because there isnt much waste for it to extract? Or is it busted? Did I get a lemon? No chance the motor would be gone after such a short period

Any help would be very appreciated. Corals look fine, fish are fine, but the skimmer looks like its barely even working...

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Make sure you do not have salt build up in air line or where the air line connects to the skimmer(I know you said you cleaned unit but this is a must check. It can build up and reduce the hole to nothing and therefor cause lack of bubbles.

4. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Youre talking about the yellow hose in the pic? (on the link I posted?)

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Yes.
    Where that connects inside you want to check that.

6. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

You my friend, are a genius!

Took her apart, sure enough a giant salt chunk sitting right in the air intake...got rid of it, skimmer is good as new bubbling away!

Thanks SO much!

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang