JBJ 28 Retrofit Kit Color Combo ?

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by Marshall O, Feb 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am going to order a retrofit kit for my JBJ 28 CF Quad, but would like some help on picking color combo and which should be on what driver. The goal for the tank is a mix of LPS & SPS.

Most of the posts I have read up on seem to do a combination close to:

8 RB, 6 CW, 4 NW, and maybe 1 green or red. Others add UV in there as well. I also run the stock moonlights for my entire photo period, but I could not find what blues these are. What do you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well after doing more research, here is what I am thinking:

4 Cool White
    2 Neutral White
    6 Royal Blue
    3 Blue
    2 UV
    1 Cyan
    1 Green
    1 Red

Opening to all for thoughts & opinions! Would also like input on which to put on which driver. I will be dimming both drivers using my Reef Angel.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

I think that's okay, but I'd probably just go with either the green or cyan but not both since they're so similar in color. My best guess is you'd be up in the 18-20k range with that set-up.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Ok thanks. I think I will keep the Cyan either way, but what would you recommend replacing the green with?

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Probably one more UV

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Awesome, thanks for the input! I placed the order yesterday, and just received a confirmation email so I will reply to that asking to change out the one green with a UV. Thanks for the help!

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Received my order on Wednesday, thanks guys!

Now, here is what I am thinking:

Run all 4 CW (Cree XPG), 2 NW (Cree XPG), & 6 RB (Cree XTE) on one driver @ 1300mA, which forward voltage should be right around 39V. This takes full advantage of the the XPGs and XTEs.

Then, Run 3 BL (Cree XPE), 3 UV (???), 1 CY (Phillips ES) & 1 Deep Red (Phillips ES) on 2nd driver @ 700mA, which forward voltage should be right around 26V. This way all 700-1000mA max are on the 2nd driver.

How does this sound? The only thing I was thinking of doing was moving 1-2 of the RB to the 2nd driver string (@700mA) as I am not sure if the 1 red would overpower the 3 blue, 3 UV and 1 cyan. Obviously thinking about how the lighting would look with the "daylights" off (which would be the whites and either 4-6 RB). I am also going to keep the stock moonlights on with the actinics, so that should help as well.

Let me know your thoughts please :)

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well I went ahead with my first option, and did the following:

Run all 4 CW (Cree XPG), 2 NW (Cree XPG), & 6 RB (Cree XTE) on one driver @ 1300mA, which forward voltage should be right around 39V. This takes full advantage of the the XPGs and XTEs.

Then, Run 3 BL (Cree XPE), 3 UV (???), 1 CY (Phillips ES) & 1 Deep Red (Phillips ES) on 2nd driver @ 700mA, which forward voltage should be right around 26V. This way all 700-1000mA max are on the 2nd driver.

Design layout:

[​IMG]

I have not yet installed it in the hood, but I just finished temporarily wiring it up to test and change the mA output of the drivers. Of note, I turned the SVR2 all the way clockwise on my daylight string as it is supposed to be only putout 1300mA. However I measured just under 1800mA! Needless to say I lowered this down to 1300mA.

Wiring & LED install completed:

[​IMG]

Daylights (CW, NW & RB) set to 1300mA:

[​IMG]

"Actinics" (Blue, TV, Cyan, Deep Red) set to 700mA (note that in the tank, the stock (4) 1W moonlights will also be on):

[​IMG]

All on:

[​IMG]

Will update my build thread tomorrow after install in the hood is completed. Thanks for the great product though guys!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Build is complete! I am using my Reef Angel for dimming control. Right now I set them to slope up from 15%-50% over the course of 2 hours (and from 50-15% over two hours before they shut off). Is 50% too high to start? They are replacing a 105W PC lighting with a 5-6 month old bulb.

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

pictures over tank! pictures over tank NOW!!!!