JBJ 28 gallon owners thread.

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Corailline, Feb 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Well thank you. I just love seahorses as well as the mythical hippocampus.

Anyway, I wasn't aware I really needed more flow, but if I do, I'll get some. I plan on having some mushroom corals and maybe some small polyp corals. Example: the nano mushroom starter pack, and the nano polyp starter pack from LiveAquaria. i just looked into them and would the Koralia Nano 425gph work?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes, sounds perfect.

Not enough flow for sps but a nice lower flow to move polyps, such as cloves, green star polyps, kenya.

Either this package
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597 2790 2033&pcatid=2033

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597 2790 2614&pcatid=2614

You can also just buy those individual corals that appeal to you. I use Liveaquaria A LOT!, I am very happy with their customer service and product. A tad expensive but worth it ime.

4. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Bought the Koralia Nano 425. It's due to be here on Tuesday. So that means my lighting and everything should be good for the corals? I haven't done anything with but take the bioballs out and put a heater in.

Corailline likes this.
  5. Corailline

Yes you lighting will be fine for those corals.

Have you gotten test kits yet? For Ammonia and nitrates you can have the LFS test, I do not personally buy those kits because I typically only use them during the initial cycle. Let the tank run for at least 2 weeks before adding corals. Products that state they instantly cycle the tank are misleading. As our leader Matt would say

"Go slow and let it grow" or my favorite " Nothing good happens fast in this hobby".

You'll need a refractometer, ca, alk and mag test kits for corals.

On Nano tanks you really need to do the routine water changes until the tank stabilizes around the 6 month to 1 year mark.

Avoid over stocking with fish, you can add a lot more corals than fish. I typically kept a pair of clowns, or one or two damsel types, or one or two Citron Gobies.

6. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

I have an ammonia test kit, as well as a five in one test kit: pH, alkalinity, hardness, nitrites, and nitrates. I will have to buy Ca and Mangnesium test kits. The refractometer is on its way.

I'm planning on a pair of clowns, and MAYBE a royal gramma. I also would like a good cleaning crew (some hermits, shrimps, and snails), although I'm not sure what kinds yet.

I have some experience in freshwater, and from that I definitely know that nothing is instant. I plan on waiting a couple days-weeks just to test out the water parameters to see if the cycle is happening.

Corailline likes this.
  7. Hippocampus

Hippocampus Astrea Snail

Well, she's all set up. Now it's the waiting game lol. Can you see the piece of shrimp? Haha

image.jpg

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yep! there's the shrimp :)

Corailline and Hippocampus like this.
  10. Corailline

Very cool. Moving right along!

Hippocampus likes this.