I've got the MH itch again

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Midnight_Madman, Nov 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

We may be able to help you in this regard. You are looking for a retrofit kit? Can you tell me what the inside dimensions are of your current canopy? L x W x H?

2. Click Here!

3. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

It's nice there are still MH options around along with t5 and LED. People who "grew up" on MH lighting will always prefer the looks. Now a generation of reefers are being "raised" on LED and when that tech eventually goes they will miss the look of LED. If you love the look of MH you should buy MH imo and enjoy. If you try and duplicate the look of one type of lighting with another you will always be disappointed.

Servillius and DSC reef like this.
  4. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

I had T-5's and went to LED's. I prefer the LED's but can't comment on MH.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Interesting my friend. What halide setup are you running now?

6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm starting to eye that new geissman fixture with the t5/halide combo. Cross fingers for that lottery money!

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree, that is by far one of the nicest I've seen

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have the Aqua Medic Halide/T5 Ocean Light. It's aluminum and does not use a fan. A great value for the combo.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A bit of my own creation, of course. Hamilton Caymen pendants with 14k DE Phoenix bulbs driven by a Lumatek ballast (x2). Then I've modded each pendant with an actinic kit from Rapid, so each pendant has 2 strips of 6 Royal Blue CREEs (and then the Apex still controls these, for a dusk/dawn capability). Essentially, think of the Reef Brite pendants, without the crappy Reef Brite reflector. :)

Looks like this:
    20140913_180539.jpg 20140913_180630.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Whoa. I really like that Hunter. I have the same DE bulb and ballast (great combo) but that reflector! That is nice. Do you get a good blue mix with those LEDS?

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The bulb just about overpowers the LEDs when it's on, but it does bring a bit of blue into the mix. It's when the bulb is off that the magic disco party happens. :beatnik2: