IVE GOT A LEAK!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JOER0178, Feb 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

The guy who handles that stuff wasn't in at the monent so I left my #. I thought it was just from water dripping, but the sand was odd and I couldnt explain how sand would get there so I cleaned the area last night and went to bed and didnt go near the tank and this morning it was back so I guess it has to be a slow leak.

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Oceanic will replace the tank but you will be asked if it was manufacturer defect. make sure you didn't drop rock into the tank or hit it with the vacuum etc... Also don't try to repair it yourself until you have exhausted all efforts to return it. If the lfs won't honor the warranty contact oceanic yourself. Perfecto, All Glass, Oceanic usually carry a 1 year warranty on tanks over 75 gallons so you are ok there. The problem is the lfs may have trouble getting credit from the distributor so thats where your trouble will lie. If they make you jump through too many hoops contact oceanic and have them contact the distributor directly (conference call works best) Something else to remember that All Glass and Oceanic are owned by same company just like Cadillac (Oceanic) and Chevrolet (All Glass). Getting sand out sounds like a larger leak so you may want to drain the tank before complete seam fails. One thing I would like to point out is that although it is good customer service to replace the tank The cost should be shouldered by the manufacturer and the distributor and it is usually the distributor that is the pain in the ass. Not always but usually.

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

By the way the lfs won't pay to fix the tank usually because they will blame manufacturers defect (Oceanic) or user error (You Broke It)

5. JOER0178

I called up Oceanic an spoke to the guy at customer service and he told me that its probably just "Salt Creep". He said when water runs down the tank it gets in between the glass and the frame and that it takes some time to fully dry so when I was removing the salt deposit more would then dry and creep up. He said if there was a leak big enough for sand particles to fit through I would probably have a thin stream of water comming from my tank or at least a fast drip. I asked about the warrenty incase anyone wants to know its 5years if you are using an Oceanic Stand and 1 year if you are not.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That actually sound realistic. I would try to dry the area and remove the salt deposits. Then maybe flush the area with fresh water and dry with a hair dryer. Then reassess. When I had a leak the pressure created a steady stream.

Jason

7. JOER0178

ill do that jakets thank you

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Jakets link=board=General;num=1076937966;start=0#14 date=02/17/04 at 09:21:24]That actually sound realistic.  I would try to dry the area and remove the salt deposits.  Then maybe flush the area with fresh water and dry with a hair dryer.  Then reassess.  When I had a leak the pressure created a steady stream.

Jason[/quote]

Ditto here.
    My tank was leaking so fast it was half empty by the time I had buckets and a mop.

10. JOER0178

That sucks Nautilus Im sorry to hear that. Did it do alot of damage

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

It was FW and I saved all fish. I was lucky to have 4 other FW tanks set up. The fish did not like being bunched together for a week but all turned out ok.
    It happened right when I got home from work. I heard water splashing and looked at the tank and freaked.

12. JOER0178

well at least you were home, I can only imagine what would have happened if it had happened a few hours earlier. Got to find good in every story right