It's all in the salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by IHAVEMTS, May 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I started with IO back in the day, then on to reef crystals for a number of years, and now onto red sea due to the better levels and non cat pee smell.

4. MAD_MAX

MAD_MAX Plankton

hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

I,v used all types over the years ---
    [​IMG]

but now that i,m getting up in the years i found that
    Instant Ocean makes me feel better ..
    P.S. i can swim like a killer whale now days..

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Ain't that the truth. I use Reef Chystals myself. Mixed well, but the smell is not good. IO was the first I used. Mixed OK. Also have used Oceanic. Worst one of the three IMHO. Didn't mix well at all for me.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Instant ocean and RC mixed so well beacuse they have skimped so long on elements esp Mg, THAT made it mix well. If you try a salt that is overly high in say Ca and Mg it will not mix as well. IO and RC are for the most part, used by beginners, who mix up their salt in 5 gal buckets with a spoon for 30 seconds, IO knows this and they made their salt perform well in those instances.

Red Sea, RSCP and H2Ocean tested VERY well, I haven't personally tested the H20cean yet as I trust Billybeau enough to NOT spend $80 on a bucket of salt to test!!!
    Oceanic tested well, heck Coralife fared well if you like Ca at like 640ppm and don't mind an odd smell, not cat piss, just weird.

7. PedroSilva

PedroSilva Plankton

Red Sea coral pro

Red sea coral pro

88,2 pounds, or, 123 libras, or 40 kg = 135 euros, or 114 gbp

8. Click Here!

9. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Have been using Reef crystals for the past 1.5 years. However, will be trying Redsea's salt on next bucket I buy, simply because I have been hearing alot of good things about the high enrichment of mag/calc (and the talk about it being formulated for RO/DI water - and compensates for the extra demineralization that occurs during the process).

Will let you all know what I find.

10. esqu37107

esqu37107 Bristle Worm

Was using Red Sea Coral PRO, Switched to H2Ocean about 2 weeks ago, Really like it so far.

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I/O for me, but recently I had to buy a bucket of Coralife since its all tat was available. I tested it and it stood up to I/O on the parameters. Except dumb dumb over here didn’t think it through – my first tub of water is 35 gallons, I add 8 plastic cups of I/O and I am spot on at 1.024 every time. I added the same 8 cups of Coralife foolishly and ended up around 1.3+ much higher salt content !

I read this thread quickly – but did I read someone add’s salt to their evap water ? that sure doesn’t sound right to me. It would take a crap load of salt-creep to reduce your levels within a week.

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

It stood up to IO in parameters? IO's parameters are awful!!

Someone asked what closely matched seawater answer is RED SEA....
    Not coral pro just RED SEA.

Happy reefing!