Is this a good price on a new 180 gallon tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by ReefPilot, Dec 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Plankton

About to purchase a new 180 gallon tank from the local fish store, but it is a lot of money to hand over. What should I do!

180gal, black, tank only with plumbing kits. No glass lid or stand

All Glass - $ 1000 (2 megaflow's in the middle)
    Perfecto - $ 1000 (corner overflow boxes, which I prefer)

I asked about the price to add Starphire as an option, but they said it wasn't available on this tank. Can anyone confirm this?

As a side note, I am all about supporting the LFS, but also want the best deal. Not sure I want to get a used tank for something this size.

Thanks for the recommendations!

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

A perfecto should only run you about $600-$700. You can have a custom tank made form Starphire but it will run you about 1k. As for getting a used tank i bought a used custom 206gal tank. Just make sure to inspect it very well and you should be okay i picked my 206gal tank stand and canopy up for $300 not a bad deal lol.

4. silor

silor Sea Dragon

...+1

5. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

I shopped around before I got my Aqueon (all-glass) rr 180g. It seems that the manufacturers have discounts every 6 months for a period of time. Check with your LFS as this is where I heard about this. Now is not discount time. That being said, I got my Aqueon 180g RR for $699 new. It was ordered and the guy backed out so the lfs had given me a deal on it. It's brand new and in excellent condition.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

thats ridiculous man, i can get a 300 gallon already running reef tank with halides and a fuge for around 1200 bucks on craigslist. not a good deal!

7. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

A few of my LFS are having sales on their tanks so it must be that time of the month. They may be limitted to certain sizes like 210 or 220. Maybe re-check with your lfs to see if they have any sale pricing going on now.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I would check the second hand market as well. I got a 125g with stand and sump (i just sold it) for $150. It can be a bit of a chase but there are great deal out there. Look for quality stands and ask if they will flill it for you before you buy it.