Is it possible to crossbreed damsels (unintentionally)

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by zoazack911, Oct 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So I have a female 3-Stripe Damsel (Dascyllus aruanus) who is about 5 years old. She shares a tank with a clownfish, mandarin goby, harlequin basslet, bicolor blenny and a pair of Bowtie Damsels (aka Black Damsel, Bluefin, Yellow-Back, Royal Damsel and Neoglyphidodon melas). The tank is a reef tank with various mushroom, softie, and LPS with thousands of feather worms, snails and other micro fauna. Parameters are all within the accepted norm etc etc. Here's my question, the two bowties have bred in the tank before but now the 3-stripe female has layed a clutch of eggs on the glass. The 3 stripe as well as the male bowtie are defending the site...as is the confused male basslet. I understand the two damsel species are of the same family (Pomacentridae) but different subfamilies. Is it possible for fish from two different subfamilies to cross breed? I have heard of Crominae cross breeding in the wild. Just curious.

2. Click Here!

3. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

4. reefermadness420

reefermadness420 Flamingo Tongue

any news on the eggs? I have two species of damsels I wouldn't mind breeding