interesting artical

Discussion in 'Salt' started by IceDragon, May 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: interesting article

Reefman,
    I am not a big GARF fan so taking there word as the golden word would not be in my interests.

IO salt has been going down hill for about a year and with alot of bad batches going out to the public that was documented and tested by Randy Holmes-Farley and by a guy in Vancouver Canada. Check out RC for this but let me warn you it is really really long.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=Salt;num=1086028802;start=15#29 date=06/06/04 at 14:01:47]Everyone who reads this doesn't need to think they need to go with marinemix. That's all I'm saying. Some of the best looking tanks in the world are run with IO. If I'm not mistaken GARF uses IO and swears by it.[/quote]

Well I have used nothing but IO over here and have never had a problem. :)

John

5. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

all i was trying to point out with my last post is that it seems like it would be easier for a reefer to add than remove ...

look at like cooking ... if you are adding salt to a dish and do to much it will be too salt and hard to fix .... on the flipside if you put just a little in for the bare taste and let the individual dinner fine tune it to thier individual taste and needs and then everyone is happy

in readding the artical the number indicate that in almost every element the marinemix is lower ... making it easier to taylor to your needs

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

ID

Apologies for missing your point, you are of course quite correct about adding things.

John :)

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

no worries john ... i could have been a little clearer myself

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I get what you mean Icedragon.

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

We are living in a world of everybody buying everybody out...soon we won't know exactly from whom we are actually getting the salt mix and how long they will have it in their line of products. :-/

I guess we just have to be cagey and try to keep track of all the changes.

G.A.R.F. has some very good ideas, and yes they do swear by IO, but they also swear by a regimen of SeaChem additives that Dave so nobly pointed, doesn't seem like it is reality based.

Why would somebody tell somebody to add this much of that and that much of this when they certainly aren't dealing with the same situations that everybody else is on a consistent basis.

It seems to me that there are too many variables to say that "this is what you do, it works for me, so do it."

It feels like the plenum wars:

Use a plenum; no use a DSB; no use the Berlin method; no use fine sugar sand; are any of them right??

They probably all are to some degree...look at the variable that they are all trying to duplicate...does the ocean use SeaChem, or IO salt, or a DSB, or a plenum?

If you think about it, the ocean has all of those elements to some degree or another. :)

Excuse my ramble...I grew up in a house with very active, ecologically and philosophically aware parents.

Keep the discussion going please I am learning a lot!!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Nice rant DX, ( what's you name BTW? )

We do live in a global village and the name of the game is certainly marketing and in this hobby it is prostituted just like any other market.

It is abundantly obvious to me that some 'experts' in this field have been dodging and weaving for quite some time without fear of ever being shown to be wrong because they cloud their opinions in so much scientific mumbo jumbo that no human could ever understand them. When somebody finally takes them to task, they just puff out another cloud of 'data' to muddy the facts some more.

Like the old golf saying it is "paralysis by analysis"

I was luckier than most and had some good teachers like Viking, Tangster, Old Salt Guy, and some people on this board.

Let me ask you a question, and answer from memory please.

Do you have seat belts in your car? If not, does any member of your family or someone you love and respect have seatbelts?

If the answer is yes, what are seatbelts made of, what is the Denier of the filament and what is the warp and weft of the weave?

John :)

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yes. Dunno. What is Denier? Wrap and weft of the weave? Am I going to get knocked out? Bob and weave more like it:) Geesh, you lost me. Scuze me while I drink some Pepsi cuz I saw it in a movie 23 times just now. Gotta get some Nikes, just rememberred Jordan sure liked them, I mean, he was always wearing them ;)