interesting artical

Discussion in 'Salt' started by IceDragon, May 31, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Wow!! That is an eye opener for sure. So much for IO and coralife, Huh!! Too bad they didn't get a chance to test Oceanic salt mix.
    That is a good price you found for that. I can't believe the differences in the metal read-outs. Good job Ice, Karma to you. Is PA Premium Aquatics. I ain't a pro..yet...but it is hard to refute the numbers

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

yeah PA is Premium Aquatics

thanks for the karma

5. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

anyone got any ideas on this?

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

One of the reviews (or the only review) on PA was that it dissolved cloudily. Otherwise I can only find the article you submitted referred to and that they have been around for a while.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It is an interesting article by Shimek, that's for sure.

Probably be best for you to do a bit of a study into the history of his findings and why he wrote that article before you take it as the Gospel truth. I wont give you my opinion because I am biased :)

John

8. Click Here!

9. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

john

if you have any good info on the good dr or his reseach can you post the links

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=IceDragon link=board=Salt;num=1086028802;start=0#6 date=05/31/04 at 21:46:54]john

if you have any good info on the good dr or his reseach can you post the links [/quote]

ID

There are many of good links to Dr Shimeks work, I wont post any here as they are very easy to find and they are numerous.

Just keep in mind that Dr Shimek is a Marine Biologist, and in my opinion a very good one. His knowledge on Marine Biology as it applies to salt water aquaria is unsurpassed. However for some reason the good Doctor also decided to venture his knowledge and intelligence into other aspects of marine aquaria like Chemistry and in particular into the pros of Deep Sand Beds. Together with a bunch of disciples he promoted the use of DSB's on ReefCentral ( and other places ) to the exclusion of other methods. DSB's forever! Well not quite :) His own tank crashed as did many others due to some unknown factors but attributed directly to the use of DSB's. Instead of just publishing that he was in fact wrong with his theory(s) he started a wonderful diversionary tactic of blaming heavy metals in salt mix and other things. Quite strange really if you think about it :)

Please understand also that the above are just MY observations of wht happened over an extended period

John :)

11. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

okay john ... i have done some reading and i am a little hesitatant of this guy now ... i have descided that i want use Tropic Marin most likely IF i can find it reasonably priced and easy to obtain .... i figure on needing a 150G mix to get ne through my first fill and a 50% WC after curing my rock

any thoughts?

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

ID

LOL Over here we are not ' blessed' with so many choices in salt mixes so I can't advise you on the brand you should get. I would get at least enough to fill your tank twice. I'm not a big fan of water changes :) but in the early stages it is always good to have enough salt to mix up some fresh water if anything goes drastically wrong.

As I wrote, Shimek is a complete expert on Marine Biology and you can bank on any opinions he has on that subject. Other subjects? Well I'm not so sure :) For example, in his book on how the set up a reef tank he states that your return pump should be able to pump 10 x the tank volume per hour. Just imagine that :)

John