Instant Ocean Or Reef Crystals

Discussion in 'Salt' started by geodehunter, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

+1. I completely agree

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

eh i would maybe say go with higher brand salts for say sps and dose..the higher brands have other trace elements not just calcium...with lps softies or FOWLR instant ocean is just fine

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Honestly I think sometimes people just make to big a deal out of stuff. If you are dosing anyways, what does it matter honestly?

5. brunoboarder244

its true you are dosing some elements but some corals need others like magnesium strontium and im sure people could come up with a hundred other elements that vary from coral to coral so unless you are dosing those elements as well it might be better to use the higher name brand i mean its not impossible but thats a hell of a lot of dosing lol

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a good point, but I'm sure there are a lot people not dosing those things and that are using IO with no problems. Every system is different. Sometimes I just wonder if people just put to much stock in different brand names because of their marketing strategies. It is all about the mighty dollar, and most of time the cheaper stuff is just as good as the more expensive stuff. Just my .02 cents. Also, I really have the cheaper salts locally and don't see the point in ordering them off line. I'm sort of cheap lol.

7. brunoboarder244

lol you dont have to lecture me too much, i usually get whatever is on sale...i only have softies lps and a couple easy sps so i dont worry too much...im just trying not to entirely discredit all other brands as well

most of the ones who swear by a brand are usually snobby and buy it because if it cost the most it must be the best mentality

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, not trying to lecture anybody. Just stating thoughts going through my head is all. And I agree with you.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I definitely don't have any loyalty to IO. If crystals were on sale, I'd get that. So I hope I didn't give anyone impression it's IO or nothing. Not at all the case.

But, this idea that reef crystals has 'other' elements, etc... I don't buy that.

Some folks are familiar with my tank. Using IO, in three years I did about 5 WC. Maybe 6, something like that. I daily dose to keep params stable and never had other param issues (nitrate, etc.). I did those 5-6 WC bc of these "other" trace elements. (At end of 3 years I did a lot of WC due to a Mg over dose and then I moved and did a complete water change. But since I moved (11/14) I haven't done any WC and probably won't for a few months more). I never saw any difference in growth or health.

Now, 'other' elements is really undefined and how fast/slow the "other" elements are absorbed by the coral is also not defined. So it's hardly an argument.

Anyway, my point is, with doing minimal water changes, all of which was IO, I am able to grow out SPS, a ton of LPS, and my softies of course.

Knowing that, I can't see any argument to use expensive salts bc they have some undefined 'other' elements in some undefined quantity that are getting absorbed at some undefined rate that I apparently (don't) need...

Having said all that, I tried keeping a crocea clam and after several months it up and died on me. I do not know the cause of that and it may very well have been some 'other' element... Or it hated my lights... Or this or that... who knows.

1 person likes this.
  11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thanks for sharing. That is pretty much what I thought.