Instant Ocean Or Reef Crystals

Discussion in 'Salt' started by geodehunter, Sep 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SPStoner

SPStoner Plankton

I would double check your alk reading with a different test kit. People are quick to blame the salt company, but always assume the test kit is correct. For what it's worth, IO and RC have the same mag content. The main difference is the calcium content, and the vitamins/trace elements.

Hope that helps.

2. Click Here!

3. BradSander

BradSander Astrea Snail

Why not purchase a quality salt mix like Tropic Marin? Anything instant ocean is garbage and is going to do more harm then good. Instant Ocean is good for Red Lobster's lobster tanks....... horrible for anything else.

4. SPStoner

SPStoner Plankton

If IO is so bad, please explain to me why so many zoos, public aquariums, institutions, and coral farms use it? And why more than 75% of the TOTM winners on most boards use it? You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, therefore should not be giving advice on a public forum. There is a reason IO / RC are the best selling salt in the world. Not that there is anything wrong with Tropic Marin, but to suggest that anything IO is garbage is just ignorant.

5. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 Salt Crystal

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

What in the world are you talking about. Why bash on one the best selling salts out there? Do you even know what you are talking about? :confused:

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I just bought 200 gallons of Reef Crystals becsause of the good reviews and price.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Why would you say it is garbage? Is there a reason you think that? My tank is doing awesome with reef crystals and I believe it is one of the most commonly used salts.

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

@BradSander: Dude you stepped in this one for sure. Hope you got an umbrella-Lmao!
    I've been using RC for 2+yrs and I KNOW I have a beautiful tank :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. SunnyX

SunnyX Plankton

Reef Crystals for 17 years now. Love it!

Thanks,

Sonny

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

So this guy is just spouting garbage.

I've been using plain ol IO for years in my mixed reef (LPS dominant). I have an autodoser that doses Ca and Alk daily - even with reef crystals, you still have to work to maintain parameters.

If you have to dose anyway, I don't see the point in paying more for a salt that still needs dosed. Dosing is sooo much cheaper than buying expensive salt and dosing.

IO all the way for me and I see no good reason to change or spend more money.