In sump or external?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by dienerman, Oct 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Starting to research and or look for a skimmer for my current build which is a 200 gal tank with a 125 gal sump and 30 gal refugium. The sump will be in a dedicated room so space is not an issue. Any thoughts on doing an external skimmer? I have only had in sump skimmers in the past. Any thoughts or recommendations would be nice. This is a budget build so breaking the bank is not an option.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Safer in the sump. What is attracting you to external?

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I agree In sump seems like a safer choice. If your skimmer goes crazy and your cup overflows you would have to have it directed to a drain.

mdbostwick likes this.
  5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have no specific reason for an external skimmer. It was just something to consider. Good point about the cup overflowing.

6. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I chose to have an external skimmer but I run it in my sump. The reason I went that route with my setup is because I wouldn't have to worry about the water level in the sump since the skimmer has a feed. So all I have to worry about is the skimmer adjustment. So far it's been working out pretty well and for the future if I ever want to run it external on a larger setup I can.