I'm lost...... Protein Skimmer for 120 gallon LPS Softie Tank?????

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by jglanz, Nov 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jglanz

jglanz Plankton

The more I look the more confused I become. When I made the switch to FOWL to reef I was given a Marineland 300 Protein skimmer which is now on its last legs. I think anything I purchase would be an upgrade but if I am spending the money I may as well try and do it wisely. Unfortunately, most the of the reviews and threads I can find are at least a few years old and all are contradictory. I am at my breaking point and need some one else to decide.
    SKIMZ/ REEF OCTOPUS/ VERTEX/ BUBBLE MAGNUS/ SWC

2. Click Here!

3. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Here's where I think the problem lies. Much of the price of a skimmer is spent in things like build quality, durability, etc. once you get past a certain quality threshold, they all work fairly well.

I chose to go with a really good quality skimmer because I want it to be extra quiet, extra easy to clean and disassemble, very durable, etc. for me that makes the cost worth it. When it comes to performance however, the difference is not so big.

If it were me and I were on a budget, I'd go with Reef Octopus again. They work very well for the price.

Billme likes this.
  4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I completely understand your frustration!!! It is one of those subjects where you will get so many opinions that it becomes overwhelming. I think that when you look at it, they are all good products and any differences in the work they perform is minimal. That being said, i think that what is out there today is better than what was available 5 years ago, so as long as you get something new or recent from a reputable company you should be happy. Your decision should probably be based upon pump reliability, price and what will fit in the space you have to work with. Let us know what you get and if you end up being happy with it and why!

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I have an SC Aquariums skimmer that works great. For your 120 I'd go with the SCA-303

6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I completely understand your frustration!!! It is one of those subjects where you will get so many opinions that it becomes overwhelming. I think that when you look at it, they are all good products and any differences in the work they perform is minimal. That being said, i think that what is out there today is better than what was available 5 years ago, so as long as you get something new or recent from a reputable company you should be happy. Your decision should probably be based upon pump reliability, price and what will fit in the space you have to work with. Let us know what you get and if you end up being happy with it and why!

Billme likes this.
  7. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I agree. I have had my SCA-303 for over a year now and it works great. It comes with a good pump too (Atman PH-2500).

8. Click Here!

9. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I just picked up a vertex omega 180i for my 120 upgrade and it's a very impressive skimmer. Best I have ever owned. It was expensive though...

Most new skimmmers are really nice from the well reviewed companies. Bulk reef supply has "real world" ratings on tank size instead of some manufacturers inflated ranges so they are a decent guide.

10. jglanz

jglanz Plankton

I went with a Vertex Omega 150 from BFS. It was 50% off on a black Friday sale. Took a couple days to break in and makes all the difference in the world.