I'm bored..switching to freshwater seeded

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by lillys Grandad, May 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Interesting and varied viewpoints. Good ideas and opinions. Hmmm.

2. Click Here!

3. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

But... You cant keep corals in fresh... :'(

1 person likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I would start a seperate tank to see how you like it that way you won't regret taking down the reef.

1 person likes this.
  5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

ok...I like this idea....get me a little 30 gallon..give it a spin..
    I just was looking at my reef...that's about 7 years there...I need therapy!! :p LOL

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. lillys Grandad

I guess what I mean by bored is the act or art of building...I feel like I am done with all I can do with the reef...I have modded and re built and improved to the point where I have nothing more to do but enjoy it...that's the goal, I know...and I DO enjoy it, and all the kids and adults that come to see it..all good things. BUT I need to do SOMETHING...I have to be building and improving. So my thought was to start over with the fresh....I don't have room for another tank...conundrum.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Ohhhhhh I know,....... why dont you do a planted... SALTwater tank. With all different kinds of macro algae. I've seen some pretty spectacular planted marine tanks out there. Flame algae really stands out nicely.

8. Click Here!

9. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

That makes sense LG.
    For many folks, myself included, building is the fun part. More than half the fun!

I imagine you have everything running like clockwork... but, maybe you could do some redesigning to scratch that build itch???

Like your water changing station or a sump or fuge redesign.
    If I had more space, my water changing station would be pretty hands off - valves, pumps and what not...

Not saying don't pursue the FW gig, just thinking maybe you could still build to fine tune your SW setup to make it as hands free as possible.

...or maybe it's time to throw some aiptasia in there and break out that Majano Wand again and go hunting! :D

1 person likes this.
  10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Or how about a mini/nano freshwater tank. I am seeing lots of folks do like 4-6 gallon freshwater shrimp and plant tanks. You could go crazy on that...and still keep your reef that you worked so hard on.

1 person likes this.
  11. lillys Grandad

Just redid my RODI system with pump inline pressure gauges tap valves etc. brand new sump a couple months ago...water change station is very easy..hmmmmm I like the pico freshwater idea..I might have room for that...and I will look into the macro algae thang..sounds cool also.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I would do a planted salt tank, you'd be surprised how many macros there are and how they look.
    A more unusual one may be a smaller, coldwater salt tank with coldwater nems, corals, and macros.