If you think Garlic shouldn't be added. Tell us why!

Discussion in 'Lionfish Lair' started by Renee@LionfishLair, May 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

EDIT: I changed the title a little from "Garlic as a dietary supplement. Yes or no!".

Thought the newer title may be the better way to come at this from.

Even if the reason isn't yours, but you've heard it on another forum, tell us here. (Just say it's not yours and leave it at that)

To feed or not to feed garlic has received from spotlight lately on the forums. Let's break down what we do and do not know for sure about it.

One article that has been used in support of not using garlic is:
    "High dietary linoleic acid affects the fatty acid compositions of individual phospholipids from tissues of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): association with stress susceptibility and cardiac lesion.".

Sound goods, but this isn't about supplementation, it's about the lipid portion of the diet being provided through either 100% fish oil or 100% sunflower oil. So, one gets "garlic is a bad supplement", from an article that shows carnivorous fish had issues when their dietary lipid was provided solely by a plant source.

So, big red line through that article even remotely proving garlic supplementation should not be utilized. What is proves, is easily seen in the abstract alone.... "These results establish that a diet with a low (n-3)/(n-6) ratio can cause changes in fatty acid metabolism that are deleterious to the health of salmonid fish, especially when subjected to stress."

Also, you can't compare sunflower oil to garlic. Garlic has allium, directly linked with reduction of fatty liver disease, sunflower oil, although a source of fatty acids, does not have this.

Anyone else wanna join in the game in getting to the bottom of all of this? Let's keep it light, though :)

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

So garlic is bad?

4. Renee@LionfishLair

That's what the new word is around town...... we're going to perform a Myth Busters thread here on 3Reef.

No ones feelings can get hurt if we prove something right or wrong! It's a part of the Myth Busters game! Ya just smile :)

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks for starting this thread Renee. I was following this on the other thread and this is a cool thread. Following along.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I've always been dubious in the addition of garlic for marine fish. I want to see what we can come up with. There hasn't been a study done on tropical marine fish... ever.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Erf, this is a hard thing to do without ticking someone off. A lot of the forum info comes from a single source. I can poke holes in a lot of their data. I don't know if that's a good path to go down.

Maybe someone start by throwing a statement or something out there for us all to comment on/add to?

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Pshhh... just tick someone off. Unless the author of that story sees this little discussion anyone who gets ticked off is ridiculous.

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I'm just gonna write the garlic debacle off as bandwagonning. People said garlic was good and everybody went and bought some, now someone says its bad and everyone jumps ship. Just like everyone thinks Odyssea lights burn your house down based off of threads from 2006. Or how you werent a real reefer if you didnt have a 6 Vortech MP-40's on a 40 breeder, but now they are junk and everyone is ordering Jaebo. Too bad with some research people would see that Jaebo is Odyssea.

So it really wont matter if you can prove garlic is good or bad badwagoning is whats best for your fish.

I use garlic, have seen it used for over 35 years and until there is some actualy proof either way will continue to do so.

11. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I had bought some dry food that had garlic as an ingredient in it and for some reason after using a few times I quit feeding it to my fish. I started using it, cus I heard it had benefits for fish and stopped, because after I thought about it I realized I never heard of fish eating garlic in the wild. I would like to learn also why I heard this. :-/

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It supposed to boost the immunity of fish, same idea as humans taking vitamins. They don't grow in the wild, but the right amount helps.