Ich Treatment on Corals??

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by Jup4_Lita85, Oct 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jup4_Lita85

Jup4_Lita85 Astrea Snail

I am currently QT'ing a fox face some chromis and 4 frags that I picked up this past weekend. Tonight I notice that the Foxface is starting to show signs of Ich. Can I treat the Ich with Kordon's Rid-Ich PLus witht eh frags in the QT tank. Frags are Zoas, Mushroom, Polyp, and some green stars.

Can I treat the Ich or should I move the Frag to another location?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would definitely move the frags first as the Kordon contains Formaldehyde and Malachite green.Heres some other tips from Kordons website.

The recommended treatment concentration of Rid·Ich+ should be approached with caution, carefully observing the reactions of the treated fishes and ceasing treatment if any undue stress is noted. Remember, when the first outward signs of Ich (scattered spots) are noticed, the fish is often quite heavily parasitic in the mouth and gills - lowering the fish's ability to withstand additional stress. The weaker the fishes' condition, the poorer its response will be to any medication. Rid·Ich+ has been shown to be reasonably safe for use on fishes which normally cannot tolerate malachite green alone.
    Fishes such as the so-called "scale-less" species (loaches, catfish, etc.) tolerate Rid·Ich+ very well, but be sure to follow cautions noted earlier. Some Mormyrids (elephant noses) may be particularly sensitive and should not be treated with any medication containing malachite green, including Rid·Ich+.

Rid·Ich+ will not interfere with biological filtration. The lowering of dissolved oxygen levels in treated water is often associated with the use of formalin or formalin-containing medications. The use of Rid·Ich+ allows a lower concentration of formalin to be utilized. This decreases the chances of lowering the dissolved oxygen. However (as noted above), treated fishes should be carefully observed for any signs of respiratory distress. It should be noted that while increased temperatures will often shorten the life cycle of some disease-causing organisms, it will also cause a decrease in the dissolved oxygen levels of the water. Do not increase the temperature in tanks or ponds used for treatment, unless sufficient oxygen is assured.

4. transam97

transam97 Astrea Snail

I have a reef safe ich treatment called kick ich it is all natural and had good reviews . However I have not needed to use it yet. If you are going to moved the corals I would just treat with a copper based product they are the most effective.

5. Jup4_Lita85

Jup4_Lita85 Astrea Snail

Thanks So much for your input!

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

If you are going to treat with copper, are you plan to use this QT tank for corals in the future, what you will need to do is transfer all fish into a separate hospital tank and treat there. Otherwise you will not be able to keep corals in that tank in the future due to the presence of copper. Another option is to move the corals to another tank and do a hyposalinity treatment on the QT tank (assuming you don't have live rock or any inverts, as they will not survive this).

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

This is a myth.Even if silicone can absorb copper it would only be a small ammount and will not harm future inhabitants.Rocks ,sand or other decorations will absorb dangerous levels though.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Good point. For some reason I thought he had LR and/or sand in the QT.