Hydor Slim Skim Nano: Unboxed

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Seano Hermano, Sep 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

hey seano. im running the slightly larger one on my 30g sps tank and i think this skimmer is awesome. mine started producing a darker tea like stuff about 1 week in. Runs quiet no microbubbles i found. I prefer this skimmer to my tunze 9002 nano any day.

I found it at a tent sale at a big als for 50 bucks. This was a great deal and turned out to be an awesome skimmer. ive liked your review of it so far as well. keep up the good work.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Thanks for the input.

$50 for the larger one is very good! Congrats on the score. I got mine for $80 when they were kind of new still. Marine Depot has since raised the price to $105 for the nano.

I was quite surprised to see no micro-bubbles when I first put it in the tank! :)

4. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

hmmmm....

Starting to consider one of these for my next adventrue.

Going for a challenge! Taking the 20L down and making a sumpless standard 29 SPS only tank. Just bought another BoostLED Mu 135 for stated adventure. Light source is covered, just need an efficient and reliable (quiet as well!!!) skimmer and I think I'll be good to go.

5. Seano Hermano

So, I've had this thing wet-skimming for some time now and I have decided I will do daily water changes, replacing what the skimmer takes out (quite a bit, actually). Small amounts, often.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Could you elaborate? Is it running to wet? If so is there nothing you can do to change it? Is it still pulling nog?

7. Seano Hermano

I don't do water changes very often (which is ok with no fish in the tank). It's getting good foam...no problems there. I just changed it so the air valve is open all the way. Gets good foam and the water is kind of murky. Wet skimming is something I've wanted to try when I had my last skimmer.

If your wondering if I would still suggest this skimmer, then yes, I would. I am changing how I skim just to see if it will improve the tank maintenance by making it easier. I have very low nitrates, but I am lazy about maintenance.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Great! After it's broken in a bit, let us know what you think of it on here!

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I read somewhere that wet skimming will lower your salinity soooo since your doing it already wanna check that out for me? LOL

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I've read that too. It does make since to me though. If you run your skimmer wet and just top off, then you aren't replacing the salts that the skimmer is removing due to running wet. If you just top off out habit because of evap, then I can see how your salinity would go down. Hoope this isn't to confusing lol. I'm getting a little tired. :cheesy:

12. Seano Hermano

Well, wet skimming doesn't directly lower your salinity. But if you top off with RO/DI water, then yes, in affect, you would be lowering your salinity level. I will be making 5g new SW and that should last me about 2 weeks, I think (30g total system volume). I will just replace what the skimmer removes. When doing this you will need to be sure that your "top off" water has a salinity level that's not too low, and not too high.

So, I try to keep mine at 1.025/6 or about 35ppm. If RODI is 1.000, then my top off should be about 1.0125. I haven't actually started doing the ato yet, so I will get to that later. This seems a bit challenging right now. I am still trying things out. For this reason, I think it may work to just the water changes at the end of each day.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011