How to restore your Bubble Magus Doser

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Restoring your Bubble Magus Doser is a pretty easy affair requiring about an hour of your time, a little grease and some new peristaltic hose cut to size. Once you have disconnected your hoses, you can remove the pump heads by simply squeezing two clips on the sides of the head and pulling the head off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The need to restore your Bubble Magus doser is not something you are made aware of from the manual, at least the PDF manual of the BM-TO1 that I have. Yet after way over a year of flawless performance, I began to notice that one of dosing bottles was emptying much faster than the other even though both pumps were set to exactly the same dose rate. After some research, I became aware of the need to replace the old hose within the pump heads. This should be done every six months apparently.

[​IMG]

Once the Bubble Magus pump head is removed, you now use the top and bottom clip to remove the back plate. My technique involved pushing the clip open and twisting my finger nail between the black plate and the head case. I did the top one, opening it slightly, then the bottom, then I could remove the whole plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once open the wear was apparent on the parts and the tubes. Crumbs of old grease and grime were removed using tissue paper.

[​IMG]

After cleaning all the parts from all 3 pump heads, it was time to break out the new tubes and some grease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I greased each part of the head assembly including the rollers.

[​IMG]

I then greased the outside of the new hose and placed it within the head and clipping it in place with the clips found at the bottom of the head.

[​IMG]

To get the roller assembly in place correctly I removed one end of the hose from the clip and wrapped the hose around the rollers, then clipped it again. Afterward, I used the round end of a letter-opener to push the hose back inside.

Note: Make sure your roller assembly is flush inside the head and even on all sides before putting the back plate back on.

[​IMG]

With all the heads restored, gently place heads back on the doser, rotating the head back and forth until the shaft begins to slide into the head, then clip back into place.

After re-connecting all hoses to the pump heads, turn on the doser and test each pump using the manual control option.

Lastly, if your doser has been running for over a year like mine, lower the dose rates initially as it will certainly dose more after being restored. Test your water and adjust as necessary.

Happy dosing!

matt

Where to get the new hoses for your Bubble Magus:

Got a local medical supply store? Look for peristaltic hose and cut to size.

Otherwise, there is one aquarium vendor out there with Bubble Magus hose replacement kits:

https://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BM-DRT.html

A big thank you to Tonyscoots84 @ Manhattan Reefs:
    http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum...ble-magus-bm-t01-dosing-pump-maintenance.html

This was the only thread out there that I could find on this subject and was invaluable to me. Please check that thread for more details and great pics.

If you know someone with a Bubble Magus doser, spread the word!

2. Click Here!

3. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Great article, I will make sure to change out the tubes on my doser.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

What do you dose Matt? Good job on the repair it wasn't as bad as you initially thought then.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks. I dose ESV 3 part. I need to check in on this tonight and do some tests to see what adjustments are needed.

6. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I ordered the replacements today - I am going to do this.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good luck RB. The only part I am second guessing is the grease I used. It was in the house and appears to be fine, but not sure for long term. The other tutorial used silicone based lube. It is working great but I would love to know what is best in this Application long term.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I will pick up some silicone based.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Is there a reason you can share?

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Matt great write up, does this happen with all dosers, or just the bubble magus?

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

The only comment I have Matt is I would have avoid putting grease on the OD of the rollers and tubing. The doser works by the rollers rolling (squeezing) over the tubing, so some friction here is actually good. You really want the rollers to roll on the tube, not slide.