How to Mod the Sea Clone

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by RHorton, Dec 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

Thanks for this post!

I picked up a used set-up on craigslist and it came with a sea clone. (I'm actually very glad it did, since, not knowing any better, I was about to buy a new sea clone...)
    I've been fighting with this skimmer for weeks now, trying to adjust it on a daily basis, and have barely gotten anything in the collection cup. At first I though maybe the tank was too new and there wasn't much to skim, but at this point I'm thinking the skimmer should be pulling all kinds of nasty out of the tank.
    I'm excited to try these mods to see if I can get this thing working before I shell out for another skimmer. (a new one's not really in the budget right now.)

I'll let you know how it goes.

2. Click Here!

3. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

Last night I put fishing line on the impeller, dropped in an airstone, and put a glove at the base of the collection cup. I couldn't get the tub out of the middle though, so that remains in tact. Already though, there seems to be a lot more gunk making it into the cup!

Thanks!

4. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

I also removed the tube going from the pump to the skimmer then attached the pump right to the base and dropped it into my sump. Seemed to help a bit more

5. Merle

Merle Plankton

Merle

I finished the MOD in photo #2 and chopped the inner pipe. It only took my about an hour to fine tune the impeller. I noticed a very large difference in the amount of small bubbles right away.

Since I also gave the skimmer a vinegar and water bath, it might take a while to see how much skim-mate is pulled from the water, but I have no doubt that this POS is going to work better then when it was bought.

Like most of you, I was new to the concept of a skimmer and was lured by the price. I've learned a big lesson but I learned an even bigger one here.... It is possible to fix other's mistakes!!!!!!!!

Great site,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Merle

Merle Plankton

Not a MOD but an improvement

Cut a piece of PVC pipe about 4in. long, and slide it over the foam filter. Reducing the amount of water the filter is in contact with (for whatever reason) really helps draw out the skim-mate.

7. Slammed01

Slammed01 Spaghetti Worm

My seaclones yes I have 2 that I used on my 29 & 46g....both leak at the j tube. Does everyone order new o rings annd problem solved? I wantcto vBulletin upgrade soon but figure this may get me by for a few months til I decide on a sump or not.

Only complaint is the leaking as I have wood floors :(