How long should it take?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by AmericanChewToy, Jul 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AmericanChewToy

AmericanChewToy Astrea Snail

How Long should it take for a new Skimmer to start producing the Darker Thicker stink ridden Goo?

Right now it just a wet tea looking substance.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

Depends on the bio load and how you have it set, but also the size of the tank, size of the skimmer (ie how properly sized), the quality of the skimmer.

Some people skim wet (frequent cup empties), where it will always be tea like and other dial it back so they get black nasty gunk and empty the cup less frequently.

My first skimmer on my new tank took weeks to what I considered broken in. I replaced it with a SRO3000 on the established tank and it was cranking along in under a week.

zesty and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've had experience with a few different skimmers and I can do nothing more but validate what A'mike said. :cool: :D

What kind of skimmer is it?

5. AmericanChewToy

Rgr that, its a 45GAL Bow front, heavy coral load 3 fish medium to small,
    I am running a Synthetic ferric oxide by two little fishes?
    and Carbon in another reactor both reactors are Two little fishes 150?

The reactor replaced was a beat up from the feet up, Used, Modified, non-reverse engineerable, epoxied, Octopus Back Pack.
    It tossed more bubbles in my tank then extracting Crud. :)

Unfortunately due to money issues, I was unable to buy a decent one so after some thinking and reading about this Lime Wood air stone Mod,
    I got a cheap CPR BAKPAK 2R?

I hear by themselves they are modest at best, but with the Mod they are good for up 100 Gal, but I gave that statement the stink eye,
    Unless it had next to nothing in it :)
    They replaced the Pump with like a Maxijet 1200 when they did the Mod,

I thought that might be too much, and thought to keep the little Rio they gave me in addition to the lime wood air stone I figured the lower flow meant extra time in the reactor,
    And extra bubbles for scrubbing the water column together would offer better performance but I am just guessing here. :)

6. AmericanChewToy

Thanks for the input on this
    What do you think about the performance this one may bring me, the way I had thought to set it up?

7. AmericanChewToy

Hmmm, its starting to produce Staank :)