How do you provide oxygen to your aquarium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How do you provide oxygen to your aquarium?

1. My skimmer I guess.

68.4%
  2. Air Pump

15.8%
  3. Open Top

57.9%
  4. Other

19.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

THE REEF AQUARIUM By Delbeck and Sprung talks a lot about O2 in the tank and best ways to oxygenate your water. They write that very little oxygen is introduced through your skimmer and the best source is the over flow to a sump and surface tension.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's great to know! Thanks J. 8)

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i've got an airstone in a big conch shell in the tank that creates an awseome effect because the airpump is valved off almost all the way and every 5-10 minutes a big bubble come out of the shell with a distinct "blooooooop", my skimmer, an open top, and my overflow that turns at a 90 degree angle on its way to the sump (which as i can imagine must be very turbulent).

5. basile

basile Feather Duster

My skimmer i guess is the front runner for that, but my 2 MP40 vortech breaking the surface do a descent job as well, in my fuge i have a maxi-jet 900 that deliver air as well through an airline sort of speak. and the air exchange of the fuge, sump, and DT put together i guess.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Two skimmers, open top, lots of surface agitation from my MP10 and at least once a day I put my face in the water and blow bubbles.

7. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Our skimmer, open top (with canopy, but still open), and then the water falling from our overflow box after going down the plumbing literally falls about 8-12 inches onto a pile of rocks (our fuge) with splashing like a babbling brook, which I'm sure oxygenates very well. Also, our surface turbulence is off the chain. We have our return inlet and 2 powerheads pointing towards the surface. So our tank gets some extra oxygen.

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

My return creates quite a bit of surface agitation and the second chamber of my biocube has water cascading over bioballs down the entire height of the tank.