How do I liquify the foam in my skimmer?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Leesa, Sep 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leesa

Leesa Astrea Snail

Hey everyone,
    I finally got a protein skimmer and my sump up and running. The first couple of weeks we had a decent amount of liquid, brown, thick, smelly stuff in the skimmer. However, in the past week or so, all I am getting is a dry foam that actually pushes the top off of the protein skimmer. Any suggestions or comments.

Since adding the skimmer and the sump my parameters are doing really well: 0 on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, calcium around 400-450, dkh 10. The only problem that I can see is that my pH falls to around 8.0 in the am and goes back up to around 8.4-8.6 in the evenings after the lights have been on all day. I have been using the Sea Chem Reef Complete and Reef Calcium as well as Kent Essentials, Kent Strontium, and Kent Tech-I.

I have 4 fish: my blue damsel, a beautiful purple firefish, and two pajama cardinal fish.

I have a fire shrimp and a coral banded shrimp, a serpant star and several hermit crabs and turbo and astre snails.

Coral-wise, I have xenias -- there everywhere and still spreading! I have three different types of button-like polyps, a blue ricordia, a beautiful leather (it did molt and come back), and a green bubble.

In addition, when we turn off the lights at night, I can see copepods and arthripods, as well as some type of skinny, white worms. I had managed to catch and remove a fireworm a couple of months ago, but the other night in the dark I'm pretty sure I saw another one underneath the rocks. So far, I haven't seen it or any damage from it on my corals. I couldn't get it out of the tank the other night without completely moving everything and I didn't feel like doing that at that time. I'll just wait and see. If things start to look eaten, I guess I'll do something about it.

Just wanted to ask about suggestions regarding the dry foam and lack of skimmate in the protein skimmer and decided to give you guys an update on my tank. One of these days maybe I'll get a camera and will be able to post some pics.

Thanks,
    Leesa

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow, sound like your tank is really thriving Leesa! [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=smoke.gif]

My Remora skimmer has a collection cup that I can move up or down to make the foam wet or dry. Is there some kind of adjustment on your skimmer?

Sounds like it has been doing it's job and it doesn't have as much to take out as it did initially.

Put a matchbox car on the lid to hold it down. ;D

matt

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Thats the foam you want. Like Matt said, put something on it to hold it down.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Are you sure you'ce got a fireworm, and not an ordinary bristleworm? Fireworms are truly RARE in our hobby, bristleworms aren't. Bristleworms aren't bad, just the opposite. They're great for sand areation and eating leftover food, and no, they won't harm your corals.