how deep does T5 HO lighting penetrate?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by billybaldwin3, Mar 12, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 48" coralife T5 HO quad light. (4x54w)

How deep of a tank can I get?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

How many gallons are you wanting and what corals are you planning is the real question. Technically that light could shine 30" plus but not grow much even with good bulbs. Reflectors and quality ballasts play a major role. I could light my 125 with that light but not expecting very much so knowing what your planning on keeping will help with your question.

4. billybaldwin3

Not planning on keeping anything too extravagant or hard to care for. I've only got like a little over a year in this hobby, so I try to stick to the easy stuff.

What about a clam?
    Would that be ok in a 125 with this light?

5. billybaldwin3

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

125gal?? No. I was going to say I had the same setup, not brand, on my 75gal and it was plenty for softies and I had two monti's going too.

Clam you need more than just lighting to be good at.

DSC chiming in 3-2-1......

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm saying no to clams. You would be surprised at how much light they require including calcium supplements. The clam might live for a while but that's not thriving. Softies, lps in the middle and maybe an easy monti dead top center. A 125 really needs a quality fixture and deals can be found. I got a 3 x150 watt metal halide 72" long for free! Just bought bulbs. Run the light now and keep stocking to a minimum until you can get a better light source in the future. You and your inhabitants will be all the happier. I know this from first hand experience.

Corailline likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Why are you hatin on the t5's??lol I ran that same fixture on my 90 for 3 years with plates and clams on the sb.:)
    [​IMG]