Help with Coralife Super Skimmer (for 65g)

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by johnlocke, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Interesting. Have you tried shutting off the pump and turning it back on? Mine did some kinda odd things like that a few times. It was almost like the pump was just running backwards.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol take it back and get an octopus oct-100bf. I have had nothing but problems with this skimmer and a hob. Maybe in a sump and heavy mod-ing is works alright, but it is horrible to adjust, a pain in the ass to empty the cup (eg you have to turn off the inflow and unscrew the cup) and it will dump 25 percent of your tank water on the floor once every month or so. Seriuosly, if you can I would get you money back and put it into the previously mentioned skimmer. Best hob skimmer I've ever dealt with.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Wow, I really need to proof read my posts, sorry about the grammar guys that's pretty bad.

5. johnlocke

johnlocke Flamingo Tongue

i did play around by unplug and plug back in.. i try moving around the air-inet tubing and venturi chamber + debris strainer.. nothing does it

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. let's start all over. First, remove the intake with the tubing attached that goes in the pump, it will come out. Take the tubing off the and look at the hole in the intake where the tubing goes over to make sure there isn't something obstructing the air flow.
    Put everything back together and do exactly what the manual states. Run it with the ball valve 1/2 open for the time they state. Adjust the Red knob as they say and give it time to break in.

7. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

I would open the ball valve a bit more and turn the dial down so it wont over flow. Yes its a pain in the ass skimmer at times but it also works great if u figure it out. If I turn the valve 1/2 way I get no bubbles...

8. Click Here!

9. johnlocke

so instead of my water level in the skimmer being to the O-Ring i Have it just 1.5" in the collection cup and this way i do get air bubles... is that okay? or do i have to have the water level down to the O-Ring (red circle)

10. johnlocke

so the skimmer works fine like this... now the bubble-production diffuser is not cleaning up all the bubles so i have quiet some micro bubles going in my tank..it is done as the manual say.. have the tube 1inch on top of the white sponge... is this normal til it breaks in? or do i still have to adjust it...

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I am not sure you understand foam fractionating (with all due respect). You can raise the bubbles which turn to foam to 1/2 way up the neck (wet foam) if you want to or just to the Red fastener (allows more time and is a dry foam). Unless you give the skimmer the proper time to break in and do what the directions say, you will be dis-appointed.

12. johnlocke

Okay then.. well couze it said in the manual i should have the water level to the Red neck till it breaks in.. but now it is half way in the neck of the collection cup couze i do want to use it as a wet skimmer...

But is the micro bubbles going in my tank normal for the first couple of days? or should i still be adjusting the bubble diffuser? and also my bubble diffuser is getting over filled and just leaks from the top in my tank