HEATERTherm ADVICE (what would u choose)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by docvannostrand, Aug 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. docvannostrand

docvannostrand Plankton

AFter 6 mos of running a regular Marineland Stealth (not the newer Stealth Pros) in my 65G reef, it crapped out. Came home and the tank was at 95. Corals closed up. One out of 8 fish is MIA. Cooled it down to normal and am using my spare Jager heater. I'll be purchasing a digital therm w/ alarm.

Marineland said they'll replace my Stealth with either a Pro Stealth or a Visi Therm. Yes, i saw the "explosive" reviews, but of the thousands they sell i'm not sure how much weight to apply to them.

Which heater would you choose?

2. Click Here!

3. piezopaul

piezopaul Bristle Worm

Getting a digital thermometer with alarm will not solve your problem if you ever leave your house for the day (or overnight). Get a temperature controller. Then you can buy crappy heaters with relative impunity. - Paul

1 person likes this.
  4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

If its an option I would invest in a controller.Digital aquatics make a base model(Reef Keeper Lite),it has a temp prob and you can set it to shut the heater off if it reaches a preset(you set) temp,along with other things the base starts at $99....look into it...

5. docvannostrand

docvannostrand Plankton

hey thanks for the advice on the controllers. i will consider. guess in this case it doesn't matter whether I tell them to send the Pro Stealth or the Visi....provided I continue to discount the "exploding heater" notes on the web.

again, many thanks
    -Ray

6. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

LMAO! That was classic.

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

EXPLODING HEATER!?

...I've got the marineland stealth pro..

10. docvannostrand

docvannostrand Plankton

well google "pro stealth heater reviews" and you'll get a few threads about them not doing well in saltwater tanks, but again, these could be biased or just isolated incidents.

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Take it out of the water with it plugged in, and if the heater is stuck in the on position...................BOOM! This only happens if it's faulty.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

hmm..I guess I have a good one then?

This is one of the more stupid things one could possibly do. It is advised on most, if not all, heaters to turn it off & unplug it before removing from water. The drastic change in temp from hot to cold is what will destroy the heaters, especially normal glass ones(yes, I know the stealth pro is not glass).