Hair algae yes?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by elweshomayor, Oct 12, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Still, point being water quality is the issue. Keep the RO/DI tds at 0, continue to do small frequent water changes with manual removal of the algae when you do, and before you know it, it'll be gone.

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

What about the coral? Is the light ok at the amount i have it? should I increase or decrease intensity? When introducing new coral reduce the intensity? by how much?
    I dont doubt its the water quality either. What surprises me though is that it was SUDDEN. Like from nothing, to BLOOM within 3 days after the addition of the new sand. (week after the new lights) Prior to that, I had maybe a small cyano spot here and there.

What upsets me is that everytime I add something to make it look better, something else happens and it makes it worse. I added the sand to make it look more 3Dish, and soon after the bloom. The lights to grow the coral and the other coral I had died. sigh...

4. civiccars2003

Well I'm not sure you said what lights you are running and what % they are? Don't introduce new coral till you get this issue under control. Addition of new sand will effect water parameters (not sure why you did that as I dont know what you mean by 3Dish). The addition of new lights require a slow acclimation which can take weeks to months depending on what you were running before. When I went from MH to LED's I lost almost all my sps.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well, the amount of sand I had before looked flat. So I added more sand to add sand dunes and deformities around the tank to make it look more natural.(add depth if you will)

Yeah, in the picture with the fixtures I have. I usually run the blue ones at 100% and whites at 50% from 10am-9pm. Although its not exactly clock work since sometimes I may wake up later or sooner lol

6. civiccars2003

Timers man. They are cheap and consistent.

7. civiccars2003

Oh sorry I missed that. They look like ebay type lights (not necessarily a bad thing). As I said, water is your issue.

One question: what are the bright orange and green things?

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Theyre just fake plants. I was getting tired of it looking bland..

10. civiccars2003

I'd get them out.

11. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

as for your question about the amount of rock.. 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon is a good rule of thumb. Certainly having more light intensity can increase an existing algae problem. I would not discount what Civiccars is saying about the water. Keep doing small water changes and manual removal of the algae. Keep looking for areas of detritus build up or anything that can create nitrates like sponge filters etc. Be patient and you will fix the problem. The algae is a symptom of a problem that has been building over time, therefore it takes time to resolve. A good cheato ball in the sum with lots of light down there goes a long way too. Good luck!

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Problem is I dont exactly remember how much rock is in there. Probably 70-100lbs. ish.. I remember adding more at some point but I cant remember the total.
    Based on the FT shot, do you think its too little rock? maybe? I know its hard to tell based on the picture alone but I havent been doing much reading or tank related things so I've lost my edge :/
    I could probably go to reef cleaners and order maybe 50lbs from them if need be.