Guppy Question

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by Zechenia, Mar 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a guppy tank that was well established and running fine for a while. Recently, one fish started bullying another, resulting in it's death. This started a pretty up and down period for my tank (guppies got tail rot. I think the melafix used to treat it killed off a lot of the biological filter). I feel like I finally got it all under control and my parameters have stabilized, and the last two weeks everything has seemed perfect. However, on one of my guppies tonight (which is normally all black) i saw this on spot on it.

[​IMG]

It's the best picture I could get. There is another similar spot on the other side of his tale as well. The fish is acting completely normal, infact, better than he has in the last couple weeks. All other fish seem normal. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Bump. Any thoughts?

Also, I want to add that I'm super on top of water quality normally. So Fish Disease is one of my weakest areas of knowledge :(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

really hard to see anything in the pic :( i can see a whitish area, but cant make out what it could be.

5. Zechenia

Ya, it's the best pic I could get last night :(

I will see if I can have some better luck tonight. But that's all it looks like... a whitish area on the tail.

6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

well, without knowing exactly what it could be you cna try a couple things. ie: adding a slime coat additive to the system to help him naturally recover from whatever it may be, anti-fungal dips (something like formalin or malachite green or rid-ich(both) or methylene blue).

I personally have had great success with melafix, i dont think that would cause your biofilter to crash. but each system is different, so you never know ;p

1 person likes this.
  7. Tyrant46290

Tyrant46290 Astrea Snail

i have had a ton of guppies, my question is, is it just a color change or does it look like a bump? if it is a bump it could be start of ich or a parasite....either way id use melafix....i have had melafix ruin my tank before....just shut everything off right before you dose the tank and leave it all off for about 24 hours........as for the start of the fish fighting....what is your male to female ratio???

guppies for breeding need 2 females per male

guppies not for breeding should only have males

if you want to breed them but dont have the right ration the males will fight over the females and often times even wind up killing other males or even killing the female if they are fighting too close.......

if your breeding them.....they will take off, guppies can be pregnant with up to 13 sets of babies at a time.....each set can have anywhere from 3-20 babies depending on the age of the guppy, if its older and bigger it will have more.....but just a little fyi- alot of guppies will change colors as they grow

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

I only have males. I think the melafix did crash my tank, but I have heard great things about it, so I won't hesitate to use it again... though I will use smaller doses and probably for less time.

I went to get another picture, and one of the white splotches has totally disappeared. The other still looks the same, but I will take it as a good sign. I am just going to keep my water quality up and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help!