Goldfish Care Questions

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by M-Ocean Man, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I will be upgrading to a 36BF for my single comet.

My question is on tankmates:

What are suitable tankmates for the comet? It is about 6" long with the fins right now.

I have seen that shubuykens are good tank mates - any other suggestions?

I also plan on continuing the live plants - anyone have a list of species that are good/bad for a GF tank?

The last question I have is lighting.

I am very familiar with reeflighting and there are a ton of DIY resources - but I know that the reeflights are no good for a GF tank.

From what I read, the GF do not like too bright of light - so that also limits me to what plants I can keep.

I would, however, still like to do LED if possible.

Anyone with experience with lower light plants with LEDs?

TIA for help!

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

1 person likes this.
  4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Hey thanks for the link Ghost - I actually came across that one - and unfortunately while it is informative - it's more for beginning aquarists. But thanks for the bump tho.

Seems like there is a wealth of general info on this topic like "Goldfish need good filtration" - but not specifics in terms of turnovers per hour and flow requirements.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Goldfish are fine with most fish that don't harass them, try to make sure they aren't bite size either although most goldfish don't active hunt small fish. Weather/Dojo loaches are common tank mates. a shubunkin would work, however that would probably be the last goldfish you could add to that tank. They grow big pretty fast. I have found oxygen levels to be more limiting then the waste provided you do large water changes. The oxygen may be less of a problem and waste more of a problem if you have HOB filters, I have two very large Canisters for my 55 gallon.

live plants may be more difficult, there are plants that would do ok provided there are enough of them to take the fishes nibbling. Like java fern, crypts, swords. any of the softer leaved plants will be eaten pretty fast, but this may be ok if the tank is full of them.

I have found its not that goldfish don't like bright light but they don't like the lights rapidly turning on, there eyes can't adjust.

1 person likes this.
  6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Thank you sir! Most concise relevant info I have come across on this subject!!!

I think one other goldie will suffice!!! Was not looking cram the tank full of fish.

The current tank the goldfish is in has some FW plants which grow fast enough to not be totally devoured. IN fact, we have to actually remove plant matter every month or so due to overgrowth.

how about substrate? Will regular small rounded natural color pebbles work?
    or if I plan on doing lots of plants is it worth it/good idea to go with flourite?

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I use river pebbles, they work for me.

If your tank is heavily planted flourite would probably work, in not you would get algae issues.

Try to avoid anything sharp, my goldfish have habit of bumping up against stuff during courting. They have lost several scales that way.

If you get dojo loaches they like to dig into substrate, while my river pebbles aren't the optimum solution I provide a cave area for them instead.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Awesome info - should have known better than to rely on dumb Google for aquatic questions when 3reef was right under my nose the whole time!!!!

Thanks again!

10. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I'm really surprised all your plants dont become lunch. what plants are you keeping with your gf?

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

One of the two species is definately Elodea . . . looking for the other . . . .

12. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

and the other is Hornwort!

The GF eats some of the elodea - but never seems to touch the hornwort. We have to trim both species of plant about once a month to prevent overgrowth!

But the tank stays crystal clear with no algae on the glass.