Freebie!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by CBSurfrider, Aug 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

That scooter blenny will starve unless you have a healthy pod population

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Yes the Eel is the last of the inhabitants that I bought when I was clueless. He doesn't bother anyone and is actually pretty mellow. He is also starting to get big so he is next to go!

4. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I was just going to ask this same question..And no I don't have a POD population. Can I supplement anything to make sure he gets fed? I thought I read to give him brine shrimp?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Some LFS will sell pods. Scooter blennies are so cool but I've learned from this forum that they slowly starve if not fed pods. I feel like you have all this excitement and we keep throwing curve balls at you :( however, it's best to know now the correct information so you don't end up losing him and wondering what happened.

In terms of the coralline seeding your tank, the LFS's tank was I think the pinkest I've ever seen! That can't do anything but spread through you tank! Although, don't be disappointed if it takes some time.

As an aside, you are going to be a great hobbyist. You ask really good questions and are willing to listen to advice and then act on it! Good for you!

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

you can supplement the scooter blennys diet with brine shrimp, but they still need to be able to hunt pods all day long. They will only live long term in a tank that can sustain a large copepod population.

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I am not set up for reef though. What would I need to do if I went and bought some pods? I looked into changing out my lighting about a year ago to start doing a reef tank and they quoted over $300 for the lighting set up. Also I take no offense from the "curveballs" you all throw at me. It's why I joined this place. I even told my LFS I'd give them my blenny, but getting him out of my tank would be a nightmare!

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

My LFS sells pods and they talked me out of buying some for my scooter blenny. They said he would be fine with the food I'm already putting in there. I bought a pack of brine shrimp for him also.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

From what I've read, you do need pods. You can create little pod dorms (I'm sure there is a better word) where you put pods and make a pile in your substrate to kind of cover them up and that protects them from getting eaten by your other fish. At least to my limited knowledge, you can have pods without a reef tank. They can reproduce in your tank with live rock.

I'm sure if you can get it to eat brine, that will help. I think many experienced people are saying that you need pods to sustain it long-term. I believe you can trust the advice on here - not criticizing your LFS but it's a good thing they sell them :)

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

You lfs folks are idiots. Go back and buy pods. They also help keep tank clean.

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

That's why I have you guys!!! I read the same thing oldfishkeeper & pickup. Just for the record this LFS didn't sell me the blenny a different store did. I have enough crevices in my live rock where I can protect them. Looks like I'm taking a road trip to my LFS today!