FOTM- Jan 2010- Potter's Angelfish

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by NU-2reef, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

Time to give my favorite fish the recognition it deserves!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Potter's Angelfish (centropyge poterri)

Reef Safe:
    Debatable. like most centropyge angelfish, they do get the reputation to nip at soft coral and LPS as well as zoanthids and possibly clam mantles.
    Despite the reputation, in my tank this fish has been a model citizen. Many may aslo argue that out of the many species of centryopyge the potter's angel may be one of the most reef safe.

Attitude:
    Reasonably hardy fish when introduced to a well established system. Enjoys grazing on live rock and zipping in and out of rocky over hangs. This fish spends the mojority of it's day foraging on algae off rocks, substrate and glass between feedings. The potter's may also become tempermental with new fish after it has become established, especially in smaller tanks. It is not recommended to have more than one centropyge angel species in a small community tank.

Diet / Feeding:
    Should be provided a variety of foods. Prefers both meaty frozen mysis shrimp and various veggies like spirulina and marine algaes (like nori). Should be fed small amounts twice daily. I firmly believe proper feeding will keep this fish from attacking our corals.
    *Note: The potter's may not feed when initially introduced to the system which makes it more important that the tank be well established*

Care:
    Provide a minimum tank size no less than approx. 30gallons with plenty of live rock and substrate. Rocky overhangs is a must as this fish will use them when feeling threatened.

Origin:
    Native species of the Hawaii Islands and the Johnston Atoll

Personal Observations:
    Very amusing fish with amazing colors. Definate center piece im my community reef tank. This fish hangs out with my sixline like a troublesome duo. They will eat and hunt together for tiny invertebrate life forms.
    During feeding they seem to recognize the hand that feeds them and are not shy to come and say hello.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

this is my first shot at FOTM hopefully i did well. let me know what ya'll think and if i need to change or add anything.

4. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Such a cool angel. Great review!

1 person likes this.
  5. NU-2reef

We need someone to do a COTM for Jan 2010. any takers?

template for the articles can be found by clicking on the the3reef contributor badge, it will link you to matt's thread on this. it's real easy to do plus you get a cool badge.

2 people like this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Great job! I absolutely love that fish. It's on my wish list and your review is very handy. Does their adult coloring change much? Thanks a lot!

1 person likes this.
  7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

+k. good info on a great fish.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

well done nu. i enjoyed reading your article. and cool to see another dwarf lover.

1 person likes this.
  10. NU-2reef

from what i know the color shouldn't change a whole lot. ive had mine nearly 2 years and hasnt changed on me. not that i noticed anyway.

it makes me smile when you say this fish is on your wish list;D for some reason i feel like i contributed to this. ;)

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You did!! I first saw your potter's photo a few months back before I had ever heard of them. Love at first sight! Lol the coloring is just beautiful.

Well...I guess since it's your fault, you should pay for mine?! ;)

12. NU-2reef

thanks divott your kind words are appreciated. maybe we should start a social group for dwarf angels huh? watchu think? might just be you and I but..... whatever