Fluval Surface Skimmer

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 2, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[​IMG]

An attachment that will work with many hang on the back and canister filters, the skimmer is worth it's weight in gold. But you can get it for really cheap! I got mine for $15 at the LFS this weekend. I am sure you can find it cheaper.

I easily attached mine to my eclipse 6 filter.

It's easy to set up and maintain. The skimmer will take water from the surface removing light-blocking film and also from the bottom.

It's dead silent too. The only negative is it's not real small so it's another thing in the tank. I hid mine a bit.

If you are only pulling water from the bottom of your tank, I highly recommend getting this.

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 1, 80%]That is a cool looking device, Matt!! Looks like it's time to make a run to the LFS. [smiley=biglaugh.gif]

My Eheim 2213 has a long intake tube that reaches about 3/4 of the way down into my 58g tank (I don't have the measurements right now). [smiley=dozey.gif]

Do I remove the intake tube and install this device? Do I remove the filter end only and install it at the end? That would put this device almost at the bottom of my tank. What would be the benefits of having this there, over what is there now? [smiley=confused1.gif] [smiley=cool4.gif]

TIA for answering my questions, Dude!! [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=wave.gif][/glow]

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yep all you have to do is swap out the intake tube with this thing.

I found the black flexy hose that comes with it to be too long and ugly and just used some 5/8" clear hose. But whatever, it's really easy.

I should note that there is a long adjustment pole that comes out of it. It was actually too long for my Eclipse hood to close so I shortened it with a hacksaw.

This thing is cheaper than the Eheim surface extractor. I used to have the Eheim 10 years ago. The Eheim pulls more from the bottom, but the Fluval pulls way more from the top.

5. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks, Matt!! I guess I'll go buy one at the end of the week. Either that, or I'll get it from someone online. I may know someone who owes me a favor... [smiley=lol.gif]

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Heh. You got it! [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Just a follow up - while I am very happy with this piece of hardware, I feel I should note that it is very important to glance at it once a week.

I had more evaporation than normal lately and I noticed that the way I had it configured, the filter almost ran dry because I had it set mostly to take water from the top. With the evap, it almost couldn't do that anymore. Heads up. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

I have a fuval 403 running in my 110gal. and I must say that this little devise does wonders for cleaning upthe surface film on my tank. Thank you very much for posting this product. [smiley=first.gif]

10. Gooser

Gooser Plankton

Just installed mine this week... and it's awesome! It basically skimmed the top of my 46gl in minutes... What sucks about it is that I does not really come with any instructions, so it will take some playing around with... I will go to Fluval's website and see would I can come up with... What I found that works best for me is that I mount it about half-way down the tank which gives the collection cup enough room to self adjust for evaporation, I will keep you informed how this "setup" pans out later in the week...

11. Gooser

Gooser Plankton

Please excuse my typing... A bit of a difficult task 8am on a Monday...

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob. ;D

You know, it took me a while, but I figured out if you rotate the rod clockwise it opens at the bottom. Counter-clockwise, it pulls from the top. ;) :)