flow through fuge stopped for a week. no heat or circulation. YIKES

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by crustytheclown, Dec 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

So when i did my water change last week i forgot to turn the pump back on that feeds my fuge with fresh water. so its been sitting stagnant for a week or so. No heat, and no circulation. it has had light. So i was going to just plug it back in when i noticed it but thought that the cold water coming in to my display from there wasnt good. than i started thinking about the water quality of the fuge being stagnant and gross. So i think im just gonna drain and replace as much water as i can in the fuge with fresh saltwater. Do you think there will be any die of that i should worry about affecting my water in the display. I have alot of sps that im kinda worried about? any thoughts would be awesome,

2. Click Here!

3. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I would not chance it just switch the water and be on the safe side. I don't think the die off would be too bad unless the water got below 60 or so.

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would tend to agree. I wouldn't panic on this one. Just turn it back on and let it go. How big is the fuge compared to the rest of the system

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Besides being cold, what wrong with the water in the fuge? What would a water change accomplish?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If the water was not circulating for a week I would definitely remove as much as possible before turning the return back on.:(
    You will have to be vigilant for the next few days and test for ammonia and/or nitrite.Depending on how much of your biofilm was living in the sump a decrease in its population could occur.I would feed VERY lightly for a few weeks.