Fish Suggestion

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by APC, Aug 18, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Trust me, a lawnmower will do you good. Get one for the good and have him be part of your ecosystem. He completely wiped out my hair algea and he keeps it at bay. My reef has has been clean eversince. I like him, but he is somewhat aggressive with new fish.

Rainfordi gobies are said to be voracious algae grazers, and they are small. Consider one.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Lawnmower Blennies are also known to nip SPS and some LPS. They also nip at clam mantles Not all but some. But you will have to accept the nipping possibilities if you purchase one for an algae control

J

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Maybe he ate my clam :confused: . He nips at my other fish once in awhile.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Jason, I agree with you. However, my Phosphates do not even register on the test, so they are close to zero. Same with my nitrates. I am doing 10% changes every week without fail. I don't have a lot of hair algae, just enough that it bothers me. So I am looking for something to help keep it totally at bay. I do totally agree that a fish should not be a substitute to good tank maintenance.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Lawnmower Blennies are cool fish. Your Phosphates are 0 and your nitrates are the same because your hair algae is consuming them.
    I can understand wanting a solution I just have heard too many stories of people who get something to help with a maintenance problem and the something they got is worse that there Algae problem. Kinda like introducing Rabbits in Australia. (Not sure why they were introduced) but now they are a huge problem

J

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I agree. One more question. Based on the frequency of water changes (10% per week) using well maintained RO/DI unit for the water. Minimal feeding of flake food to 2 small clownfish, and phos-ban in the filter. What else can I do to control the phosphate levels? One thought was that I may need a new protein skimmer. I have a sea clone now, and although originally very happy with its performance, I have noticed that it is not working as well lately (despite keeping it clean). Any thoughts on that? Also any suggestions on what to get next (I need a hang on the back model).

8. Click Here!

9. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Jason,
    Rabbits were introduced into Australia as a food source.