finally getting back in, starting off with this tank :)

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by chelseagrin, Jan 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

Hey guys finally decided to get back into the tank biz. i wanted to start off sort of small cheap, and modern looking for my studio so i ordered this tank to start.

Open Box Sale Deco Tank 25 6 6 Gal Aquarium w LED Lighting Filter Sys | eBay

and i have already purchased 5 lbs. or live rock from marco rocks. and already have all the other supplies that i need. im not new to the game ;) but it definitely has been a while. any ideas on how good this tank will be? what sort of upgrades will be in order? im not really looking to upgrade the light right away as i will start the tank off as a FOWLR, i may add some hardy corals along the way. but this will need to be a pretty low maintenance tank. as for inhabitants i was thinking a clown goby or maybe even a clown, although im pretty sure this tank is too small for a clown. or even a pair of clown gobies most likely. thanks in advance for any help/constructive criticism ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It's been awhile! I don't have any experience with that tank, but it does look pretty cool. Welcome back to the forum :)

4. Pool Guy

Pool Guy Plankton

I would look at adding a protein skimmer as soon as possible, also not quite sure how they are getting 10,000k out of 6500k bulbs might lead to problems if you add corals before the light upgrade.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Turning on the blue leds will make it 10k when the lights are on together. Anyway, welcome back chelsea. Can't wait to see your build.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back Chelsea! That tank is very slick looking!

7. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

thanks for the welcomes guys! :)

any suggestions on what sort of theme this tank should have? suggestion on inhabitants? i am aware i need a protein skimmer. i have a few that i am looking at but any other filter or light upgrades i could do? i know i said i will not be upgrading light for quite some time but it would be nice to get it planned out for when i do do it. and it would be good to know what sort of fixture would work best and fit best with what i have. and still look sleek and modern.

8. Click Here!

9. Pool Guy

Pool Guy Plankton

Thanks for the info, Anyway

10. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I would just run the Tunze DOC 9004 Nano Protein Skimmer and that's all of the filtration I would run on this bad boy. Along with some water changes this can be a very nice little set up.

11. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Well the tunze is smaller, I think it looks cleaner, but one of the main advantages is that the water intake into the skimmer is taken in from the surface of the water which is one of the dirtiest parts of the tank. Hence the logic behind overflow boxes