Filtration, HOB, sump ??

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by rogerstammy, Apr 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

is there a thread or website anyone can recommend that can explain the whole filtration in a saltwater tank and pros cons of different set ups? I'm at the point where I want to know what the purpose is for each item and how it works.

2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I wish I would of asked this question before I got set up I listened to my LFS I am currently running a hob filter and skimmer everything has been running for about 4-5 months and going well I will say the hob filter I run is a emperor 440 and is noisy and a eye sore if I could do it all over a again id go sump from what i've read it eases the job of keeping the water parameters better you have more water in your system always a plus and you can hide all the equipment in the sump keeping the display looking cleaner and more natural. still a newbie so I am sure a experienced reefer will chime in shortly but awesome question!

rogerstammy likes this.
  4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    rogerstammy likes this.
  5. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

+1 to that article! It helped me a lot how to understand each. Also look up vids on YouTube. Hate to be that guy but, Mr saltwater tank gives pretty good advise on sumps, fuges and skimmers.

rogerstammy and chris adams like this.
  6. Stovebolt-V8

Stovebolt-V8 Feather Duster

Something I'd like to toss up that never got passed to me :mad: is in regards to the sand bed, if you using the latest recommended method of fine sand several inches deep (many opinions on the depth) after you have everything setup and it's starting to cycle DO NOT DIG IN THE SAND, TRY TO CLEAN THE SAND, OR DO ANYTHING TO DISTURB IT!!! Every time you do you'll a bacteria and algae bloom o_O For those that have been in this hobby a while they automatically know about this but us "Worms" are seldom told with any details Now at least you have been warned and react accordingly. Good Luck!! :D

DSC reef likes this.
  7. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone