feeding corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Anthony Danta, Aug 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

well i have been target feeding my duncans mysis and they have been responding awesome so this made me think how can i feel my other corals so my question to you guys/girls is....whats the best coral food i can feed my tank with and how often?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have always really liked Rod's Foods, both the coral blend and original. I used to feed it to the corals once a week, my Duncan loved it. It's actually my favorite food both fish and inverts.
    For sps I specifically feed foods designed for sps like Reefroids, Acropower, Spongepower (my favorite).

Anthony Danta and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'm a fan of fish poop. I feed a little more than I should to my fish.

Anthony Danta likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Kobalt coral food or oyster feast. A good amino acid supplement wouldn't hurt either.

Acropower, as mentioned above, is an awesome amino acid supplement that is not solely for acros or SPS.

It depends on what coral you wish to feed. Duncan's, acans, and similar corals are fine with meaty foods like mysis, krill or squid.

Mr. Bill and Anthony Danta like this.
  6. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Do you guys target feed Reefroids and Acropower or do you simply dose them into the tank at the recommended concentration?

Anthony Danta likes this.
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I just add them to the tank, but I attempt to initiate a feeding response first.

Add some frozen to the tank, the corals will pick up that food has been added to the system and they begin to display some mesenterial filaments. Wait 30 mins and add the sps food.

Feeding a couple hours after the lights go out is also a good time. You'll notice the sps have different types of polyps out.

8. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Acropower is an amino acid supplement; therefore you don't actually target "feed" it. Just dose right into the tank.

True foods are better off being spot fed so as not to waste much.