feeding anemone with cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by crustytheclown, Sep 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I have a RBTA in the same tank as a Cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. Currently i have no clowns in the tank and the anemone is not hosting anything. I have been trying to feed the RBTA but every time i put something in the tentacles the cleaner and fire shrimp rush it and seem to mutilate the food from its grasp. Should i try putting the top of a 2 liter pop bottle over it as to keep out the shrimps? I have acans and the shrimp try doing the same thing to them? They are kinda becoming a pain in my butt... any advice

2. Click Here!

3. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Give the shrimp a lot off food so they r busy

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

or somthing big enough that they cant carry it off

5. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I would have to sit there for 30 minutes and fend them off with a turkey baster while the scans ate their meal...

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I run a powerhead when feeding, I never spot feed my GBTA, if you see any health regression then I'd worry, I think you should feed normal and make sure there's sufficient light. :)

7. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

has this worked for you? i think i might need to move the shimp to a different tank that i dont have corals in that i need to feed...

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What I try to do is feed them first a good amount of food. They grab as much as they can and then run and hide so the food isn't stolen. Then spot feed from there.

Another option is if you can put some food in a brine shrimp net and have the bottom of the net in the tank, but so none of the food can get out. They will go flying up to the net and keep trying to get food out of it which will keep them plenty busy.

For my nano that I am building, there will be no cleaner shrimp to avoid this issue ;)