EV180 vs. Remora&Urchin Pro

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by doTheEvolution, Jul 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

I was thinking of replacing my skimmers, Urchin Pro and Remora, with just one EV180. Would the EV180 outperform these two skimmers working together?

2. Click Here!

3. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Are you having performance issues currently? Those two skimers on a 90g look like they should be doing a pretty stellar job. The EV-180 would probably be a little overkill on a 90 and end up removing TOO much from the water. Have you looked into the 120?

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have the AquaC EV 180 on my 90g DT-55g refug/sump and it does a great job. I dont know what those skimmers(Urchin Pro and Remora) are rated for, but I personaly would rather have only one skimmer instead of two.

Luna

5. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I also have a EV180 om my 90g tank and it works great!

6. doTheEvolution

doTheEvolution Astrea Snail

I am very happy with the performance of these two skimmers. I just wasnt sure if it would make a difference to upgrade to a EV180 and take down these two. Having the HOB skimmer is starting to bother me, but I wouldnt want to get rid of them if they would outperform the upgrade.

As far as the EV180 removing too much from the water. I do weekly water changes and dose trace elements. I also dose because of the amount of skimming and I use carbon 24/7.

My current combo is rated at....
    Urchin Pro @ 120 gal. max
    Remora @ 75 gal max

EV120 @ 150 gal. max

EV180 @ 200 gal. max

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I'm moving my EV-180 to my 65G tank soon, even though my signature says I already did that. The max listed is absolute max. Since you have a reef, that max will be dropped significantly, so you should be fine with the EV-180.

8. Click Here!

9. Molly2005

Molly2005 Plankton

I've been running the EV 180 on my 90 gallon reef for three weeks. Great skimmer and it's pulling out a bunch of nasty stuff. I' am running a RIO 3100, but I'll be upgrading to to Mag 9.5 very soon.

Randy